Sunday, February 05, 2006

Ban The Burqa


If we really want to get serious about this war, we need to understand that Islam needs to fundamentally change. After World War II, we banned certain tenets of the state-religion of Japan; Shinto-Buddhism. We decreed, unilaterally, that no more would the practice of Emperor-worship be allowed.

Winning this war is not, simply, a matter of defeating Jihadis. It is a matter of ending certain tenets of Islam.

No more preaching of Jihad.

No more strict Sharia (if Muslims want to redefine Sharia, that is fine).And no more Burqas.Burqas are an abomination.

The burqa is the chains of female slavery.

Burqas need to stop.

If I had my way, this would be our rallying cry.

People think that women have the right to wear burqas. No, we must understand that some slaves would have chosen the chains. Many slaves stayed on with their masters after the Civil War. Does that make it slaver ok?

Hell no!

Many slaves, mired in the midst of their slavery, would have said they would choose the chains. Does that make it right?

The Case For Democracy by Natan Sharansky, explains how this kind of self-deceit happens. Coercion through threat of violence makes people become double-minded. They profess one thing in public, and think another thing in their heads. This leads to confusion, and after awhile, people will forget who they are and what they want.

The Burqa dehumanizes women. It is a tool which instantly turns a living, breathing human being into a slave. When the shroud goes over the face of a human being, they are dead to the world. The human being, so enshrouded, can see out through the veil darkly, but no one can see in.

She is windowless, and alone.From Act International:


"Women you should not step outside your residence. If you go outside the house you should not be like the women who used to go with fashionable clothes wearing much cosmetics and appearing in front of every men before the coming of Islam."
--- Edict (religious decree) announced by the Taliban’s "Religious Police".

Two months back, I was on an assignment in Afghanistan. Defying another Taliban edict - this one banning taking photographs of "any living thing" - I looked for ways to illustrate how three years of drought and 22 years of war had affected the lives of men, women and children in Afghanistan. In an environment created by the edicts restricting the behaviour of women it was difficult to get a single picture of women.

Basically, I had to "steal" such pictures while pretending to be tying my shoelaces, looking the other way or trust my luck in accidental drive–by snapshots from car windows. In the end, I tried another approach; one I felt more comfortable with. This approach did not force me to try to cheat the women within range of my lenses and, it even appeared truer to my own experience of travelling as a male in Afghanistan.

Over 14 days, I had next to no interaction with Afghani women and saw only three women’s faces directly. As a sort of compensation, I started focusing my lenses on some of the traces of the women I glimpsed or sometimes just missed where ever I went – villages, streets, bazaars, hospitals, clinics or restaurants and mosques. Traces of the millions of Afghan women concealed by the rules of the Taliban, the cloth of the head to toe long blue Burqa, local traditions and in some cases the 4 to 5 meter high mud brick walls surrounding their own homes.


One day we will look back on the burqa and we will wonder how it is that our civilization allowed such cruelty to human beings.

8 comments:

Myra Langerhas said...

I link to a great article called "When I Covered My Head I opened My Mind". Its hilarious.

Pastorius said...

Demo,
Thanks for pointing the way.

JMJ,
Thanks for the kind words. I don't know if Ban The Burqa would be something most people would agree with, however.

Pastorius said...

You know, Jay Leno's wife was on this subject a long time ago. Even before 9/11. I recall her going on talk shows, and giving interviews.

It didn't do any good. People ignored it.

Of course, now we are living in different times.

David Schantz said...

How about using Wake Up America!!!, BAN THE BURQA!!! for a rallying cry.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic

Pastorius said...

I like that, David.

What do you guys think? Should it be on t-shirts as well as scarves?

Dag said...

At our last Blue Scarf meeting we came up with a new verb: "manji." The thing is to manji Islam, split it between the savages who destroy the lives of women on the one hand, and to strengthen women in revolt against it.

For a number of years now, the time flying incredibly fast, I've been trying to promote the spiffy slogan: "No Whimmitude."

So, it's not all doom and gloom and boring books on Islam.

Pastorius said...

Good ideas, JMH.

We'll have to have someone design this.

Pastorius said...

Looks like a pretty cool blog.