Saturday, June 30, 2012

What a rhinestone

I stumbled over this naive crud posted on the leftist Captain Comics site, by a man who may have fawned over the misogynist Identity Crisis, who's telling the following about Captain Britain and MI-13, which I once spoke about over here:
At the same time, [Paul] Cornell remembered to put a human face on the series. The relationships were as engaging and as varied as the epic invasions. The strongest relationship was the blossoming romance between the Black Night and Dr. Hussain. Hussain was a very naturalistic portrayal of a Muslim immigrant to England. She was cool and charming and it was interesting to meet her family through the eyes of the Black Knight.
On the one hand, his gushy take on the characterization of Hussain is quite annoying as it is gallingly sugarcoated. On the other hand, it does tell that Cornell may have made a big boo-boo in the eyes of some Muslims: a romance between a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man! Which is considered taboo under the beliefs of the Koran. Yeah, I'll bet this is a VERY naturalistic meeting with her family alright.

It makes me very sad whenever today's comics are ever considered realistic, science-fantasy or not, and even offends me whenever realism is considered the most absolute importance for escapism. And with the way this beginning to sound, that's why the mere mention of realism is almost starting to leave a bad aftertaste for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh,Captain Britain and MI-13. I tried reading volume one once and had to put it down when the otherwise appealing Dr. Hussein uttered the infamous Muslim battlecry "Allahu Ackbar." Call me a racist, but those words for me invoke the murder of 3,000 Americans one Tuesday morning not so long ago.