Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Partisan Divide

Jules Crittenden wrote an open letter to Democrats.

Personally I always had a lot of respect for Jules, until I just read this:
I love men and women of all stripes that I've encountered -- Arabs, Persians, Europeans, Israelis, Indians, Paks, Armenians, Argentinians, Mexicans, Thais, Malays, military, civilian, right, left, center, religious and heathen. And yes, even Dems and the French. I have loved the time I've spent in the company of all of them. Some of them make it more challenging than others.

(My emphasis)

That truly goes too far. There is nothing remotely respectable about the French.

Well, apart from their wine that is.

3 comments:

Pastorius said...

Their women ain't bad either, once you bathe them and shave them.

Anonymous said...

Great French wine is great, good French wine is bad and average French wine is pigs swill.

Anonymous said...

It was sweet of him to be nice to us old heathens, but I do resent being put in the same boat with the French.

This is insidiously becoming the sort of cause that divides even families the way the Civil War and 'Nam did. Which, of course, plays right into the hands of the enemy. But it is also becoming so obvious that our very survival is at stake that compromise becomes a worse betrayal. Those of us who are older might comfort ourselves with the hope that we'll miss the worst, but if we lose this fight it will be catastrophic for our children and grandchildren. If we lose it sooner rather than later it will be catastophic for all of us as well.