Sunday, January 18, 2009

Defiance Redux

I’ll preface this by saying that it has been five years since I read Peter Duffy’s The Bielski Brothers and I have yet to read (though I just received it yesterday and moved it to the top of the pile) Nechama Tec’s Defiance, the book Zwick used to base his movie of the same name on. So any factual errors are likely mine due to time, and not those of either author. Zwick’s are another matter.

As you know I had high anticipation for this movie. In some ways it was met, in more ways it was not.
If your intent is to see a movie about partisans killing Nazis and collaborators alike in desperate situations this is it. If you want to see a movie about small bands of men taking on and overcoming far superior forces this is it. If you want to see a movie about good versus evil, by all means see this movie.
But if you want to see the story of the Bielski Partisans then, yes, see this movie but please read the books.
Now before you begin throwing rotten produce understand that my wife and I LIKED THIS MOVIE. VERY MUCH. (I have to tell you, there were maybe 50 people in the audience and my wife and I, being 46 & 47 respectively, were by far the youngest ones in the theater. Which says skads about the state of America and where we’re headed.) Because as a partisan kills Nazi movie this is very good. But if you know even a little of the story of the Bielskis you will find much that isn’t there and should be.
First off Tuvia was a far more complex and charismatic man than portrayed here. In the film he often seems indecisive and unsure. He does not project the image of leader, no matter how long he sits on that white horse.
The brothers themselves were also far more ruthless. It was necessary for their survival. And the partisans also received far more Soviet army support than portrayed here. An what the devil is all this silliness about “forest wives”?
A bigger overall problem is the camps themselves. While the conditions were primitive and difficult to be sure, it misses the point that the Jews, though being hunted like animals, refused to give in. The Bielski camps were large. They had a Synagogue, bakery, tannery, metal workshop, school, slaughterhouse, shoemakers, tailor, leatherworkers and on and on. They had the sense of community the “intellectual” asked about and Tuvia talked about, once, briefly, from the back of the soon to be late white horse. But no evidence of that community AND IT WAS VITAL to the Otriads survival. Instead we get a little screenwriters lip service.
Part of the problem causing that is Zwick’s decision to end the story only 6 or 8 months into it, after they survive the first winter, with a “And they lived another 2 YEARS in the forest”
Well, those 2 years were pretty damned important as the group grew to over 1,200, continued partisan and resistance activities and built that community, a community from which now tens of thousands are descended. And throughout there were some very difficult times and close calls.

These are The Bielski Brothers.

These are not.

The thing that troubles me most, however (and maybe it’s just my take on it) is that, because of the way the film has been made IT PORTRAYS THE JEWS AS VICTIMS YET AGAIN.

NO! NO! NO! That misses the whole point of the Bielskis completely. These were people who chose NOT to be victims. Who chose to run, hide, yes, but also stand, fight and live on regardless of hardships. Who chose to survive no matter what it took or what anyone else thought of them. Who chose not to live like animals even though they were hunted as such.

But no. We get a couple skirmishes. A little bit of firearms training. A desperate flight to Krasnaya Gorka (the island, tank battle etc) which was far worse and more treacherous than portrayed. Some potato and turnip peeling. And an awful lot of time standing around in a soup line or forest looking pretty pathetic. Not doing much of anything, really. Except complaining. And forest wives worrying about their forest husbands.

Look, I said I liked this movie and I do. A lot. It has plenty going for it. Great cinematography. Plenty of action. Desperation. Poignant moments. Sad moments. Happy. Tense. I’d probably pay to go see it again and will definitely be first in line when the DVD comes out. But as a historical piece of the 3 great brothers, not so much. (Actually 4, young Aron’s part was bigger than even portrayed here).

I’m half Polish/Russian, descended from immigrants in the very early 1900’s. I had hoped to feel more pride of National heritage than I did here. Not that I didn’t feel any, just not as much as I thought I might. The way every Polish/Russian immigrant should feel when watching this.

I say Russian Polish because I have a copy of the ship’s manifest my ancestors came over on. (love what Ellis Island has done for records search) The manifest clearly states Russian next to my great great grandparent’s name. But the family has always maintained Polish. When you consider the shifting borders of the region ("ok, today you’re Polish, tomorrow Russian, next week Polish again and, oh, soon we’re going to try a new one on you Belorussian") combined with language barriers then ("I dunno, he sounds Russian to me") then it's not hard to understand the confusion.

But there’s another reason why I had hoped to feel more pride. In a second or third cousin 19 times removed sort of way.

And that’s the NAME entered on that ship’s manifest for my great great grandparents.

My mother’s maiden name. . .

BIELSKI.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m half Polish/Russian, descended from immigrants in the very early 1900’s.

It's important for your descendants to remember when their ancestors arrived in the U.S. so that they do not have to bear the White guilt of Black slavery.

midnight rider said...

Abu -- My mother's side arrived in the 1900's. My fathers side in 1664 and the first did, indeed, have 2 slaves. But none after that.

I do not bear any guilt, nor do my daughters, for what someone I had no control over did 350 years ago.

But your point is well taken.

Anonymous said...

Midnight Rider states: "The manifest clearly states Russian next to my great great grandparent’s name. But the family has always maintained Polish."

This household plays the mirror image of that issue. In 1985, one of our grandmothers claims to hail from Poland. Her daughter and grandson vigilantly defends her Russian honor to this day.

I have to find a working VCR to play the video to see if Grandma reveals a specific region or city to determine if the transitioning borders explain the confusion.

*****

My family and I saw the movie this afternoon. My preteen thought it the best movie he's seen. Yes, it was a very good movie - considering the difficulty to adhere strictly to the books, to include details and character development in such a limited time span.

midnight rider said...

Urbanadder -- somehow in this day and age my wife & I have managed to raise three wonderful beautiful intelligent very CONSERVATIVE daughters. 2 of them recnt adults.

One recently made a quip about winding up in a burqa someday. To which I replied if she or her sisters were ever forced to where a burqa it would mean that I was dead.

And that's just how it is. I will not submit.

"it takes more than one--of like mind--to do what will have to be done." I'm afraid that hour will soon be fast upon us, my good fellow.

The stoicism I get from my German heritage father. The temper, ferocity and stubborness is all from mom's side.

midnight rider said...

Anonymous (HRW?) -- My grandmother is 93 and still around kickin' and quick as a whip. She was the first generation born here. And she remembers much of what her parents told her where they came from in Poland.

But she knows very little about my grandfather's family (Bielski). Unfortunately he passed away in 1974 and I was too young to even know I should be asking let alone doing so. So all I have to work with are sketchy memories of my aunts and the ships manifest. which also states the name of the village they came from as Dobrzewice. Here even the internet lets me down as there is no town by that name. It may have been obliterated by the Nazis or maybe even earlier.

I agree the biggest part of the problem was trying to fit what is a sweeping narrative into a short time frame. I think they should have either made the flick longer (which would have turned off today's AADD culture) or cut some parts in favor of others. Because as it stands now as a historical narrative it is wrong. Tuvia, especially, could have been played much better by Craig. He was THE driving force behind the group.And my fear is that people will go to see it and think they know the story and pass on the books. Which would be a horrible disservice to the partisans and all they accomplished. This is a story that needs to get, especially as we head towards what looks like dark days ahead.

But as a movie and a story it is terrific. I would recommend it to many while recommending the books at the same time.

My 10 yr old wanted to see it but we thought to wait a little while yet to avoid inevitable nightmares. I've ordered the 21 & 22 yrs olds to see it. Yeah, we'll see how THAT works out (I think they will anyway. History is actually something we've managed to keep them interested in).

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's HRW . . .I chose to take my ten year old (preteen) specifically because "ten" is the minimum age the Holocaust Museum sets for admission.

He asked me several questions during the film . . .of which only one seemed to be an issue for him. The horse.

BTW, the Polish/Russian grandma passed at the age of 94 two decades ago. If memory serves correct, she mentioned a resort area called Lebow (sp?), Poland. Years ago, I saw it designated on a map as a region - not town. Unfortunately, I can't find it on the maps I checked this evening. I'll have to play the tape to confirm my memory on the name.


FWIW . . . another movie to introduce the holocaust to children is Paperclips Paper Clips is an inspiring 2004 documentary about a consciousness-raising project that blossomed into something beautiful at a rural Tennessee school. When the principal of Whitwell Middle School sought a program that would teach diversity to a predominantly white, Protestant student body, the notion of focusing on the Holocaust--specifically Hitler's extermination of six million Jews--seemed like an obvious way to go. But understanding what "six million" looks like became a challenge. Thus was born the idea of collecting that number of paper clips at Whitwell as a visual reference.

But then it turned out paper clips actually have, in historical terms, symbolic value where the Holocaust is concerned. In this moving film, one sees Whitwell students dig into research on Germany's genocidal campaign, solicit clips from a variety of leaders and celebrities, and make a name for themselves on the national news. In time, the world comes to Whitwell's doorstep, via unsolicited donations of clips from people around the world, and in a tearful meeting of students and Holocaust survivors. The dimensions of the project, the lessons about prejudice and intolerance, are stunning to watch grow beyond anyone's wildest expectations. This is a great film for families and classrooms to watch together.

midnight rider said...

Thanks Anon Paperclips may be something to look into.

We chose not to take the 10 yr old. Not because it's a Holocaust movie -- she understands full well what the Holocaust & who Hitler was, at least at a 10 yr old level (she has me for a father who goes off on these rants poor kid) -- but because of the visuals themselves. Seeing the mass grave early in the movie would have had her awake for days.

Anonymous said...

Dobrzewice - also called Dobrzyń

http://books.google.pl/books?id=_ONX5ZaqxlYC&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=dobrzewice&source=bl&ots=8vv1777jfc&sig=19sfhkZ66z2gA2FyeVIpwIrmUhw&hl=pl&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPA235,M1

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobrzyń_(dzielnica_Golubia-Dobrzynia)