Monday, June 15, 2009

TERRIFYING

I've never had to draw my gun in potential self defense.

Until tonight.

11:30 p.m. EST I'm in the family room watching 300. Daughter #3 (11 yr old) fell asleep on living room floor watching a DVD. Her mom dozing off on the couch. Daughter # 2 (21 yr old) in her bedroom getting ready for bed.

Front door is mostly closed but open enough to let cool night air in until my own bedtime.

Daughter #1's Good Infidel Dog (feisty little fox/rat terrier) is visiting for a couple weeks while said daughter is taking late night classes in Philly.

Suddenly that dog goes absolutely apeshit.

Groggy wife thinks he needs to go out and do his thing. Leashes him up, opens the door. . .

and is face to face with someone getting ready to come in. As she describes him a light skinned male wearing a hoodie with hood up. Best look she can get in the dark.

She let's out an "Oh Jesus Christ!" and slams the door. Daughter # 2, who came to the living room when she heard the dog, screams at the top of her lungs. Daughter # 3 keeps sleeping.

People, this is where training with your weapon, rehearsing in your mind over and over again what you would do if this then that comes into play.

I'm out of my lazy boy, drawing my gun from my hip (ok, for those of you who want the details, tonight it was a Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight loaded with Cor-Bon 38 SPec. +P hollowpoints coming from a Don Hume J.I.T. Slide Holster). Up the steps my arm clearing the stairs wall gun eye level pointed at the front door.

There's my wife and daughter, screaming and staring at the closed door.

For anyone who has heard that in such a situation you get extreme tunnel vision let me assure you it is true. My focus is on that door, wife & daughter just to the side.

Training training training.

No apparent threat gun still drawn right to the bedroom (3 steps) flip on the light. Dammit missed the switch knocked the cover off the thermostat (more training needed) grab the shotgun (again -- for those of you detail minded - Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge pump action 22 inch barrel loaded with Remington #3 buckshot). Back to the living room.

All in under 10 seconds.

My wife calls 911, since we don't know exactly where the foiled intruder has gone nor whether he had any friends lurking nearby. The police are here within 5 minutes, take the information, don't question the gun on my belt, and tell us there had been a breakin across the highway a little earlier this evening. They will be patrolling the area.

So. Lessons learned/reinforced:

Know your weapons, Know where they are and how to get to them. Go over it again and again in your head. If this then that. Practice drawing them until it becomes reflexive.

Despite their quick response a gun in the hand is STILL worth more than a cop on the phone.

Be prepared to pull that trigger. Strangely I felt no fear during the incident and knew I was ready, had I seen someone within my home, to counter that threat. Of course the adreneline rush I'm experiencing right now is like no high you can get from any drug. Might be awhile before I can get to sleep.

Little dogs making big noise are worth a million bucks.

Can't stress the training enough. I remember when I first handled a sidearm, shaking as I tried to load it. Now it's second nature. But had I just bought a gun and never practiced with it I would have been far less useful in this instance.

Gun control statistics are bullshit. This is one drawn gun incident that will never be reported as such because no shots were fired. How many more like this for every time a shot is fired in self defense?

In truth, my wife was the one who scared off the perp, though we didn't know it at the time. She did exactly the right thing by slamming the door, screaming and getting my attention. But it could have played out far differently with a more determined intruder. Might not have had time to get to the shotgun.

In the house, that sidearm on your belt is your first defense but also primarily intended to buy you time to get to something far more substantial if possible.

In an event like this, pandemonium and chaos will ensue.

NOW HERE'S THE TRUE IRONY.

I carry a gun even in the house. Tonight my mom was down for supper with us. Both she and my wife gave me grief. Why must you carry that gun in the house? Don't you think it's a little paranoid? Do you really need to do that?

Because it can happen anytime anywhere. Just ask that 11 year old shotgunner a few weeks ago.

But here? In this neighborhood?

I have been assured neither of them will ever question it again.

As for all you gun control idiots, back off. It's my home, my family. YOU weren't here to do anything about it and neither were the cops. Just me.

I don't care where you live, inner city, nice suburbs, high class end of town. IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.

Molon Labe you whiney ass shitbirds.




Triple Bacon Rations Tomorrow

20 comments:

Ed Miller said...

This one brought tears to my ears.

Good work on all parts.

10-4 on that triple bacon ration!

- pupista

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I've posted the story and linked to this page.

Also, I was curious about your Wingmaster shotgun:

Where did you get a 20 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 22 inch barrel?

I've seen them with 26 inch and 18.5 inch barrels (my father has a 26 inch barrel on his), but I haven't come across one with a 22 inch barrel. Is that a special order, or does Remington make a 22 inch replacement barrel? A 22 inch barrel seems like it would be the perfect size for home defense - not too long, and not so short as to scatter the shot all over the place.

Cheers

Epaminondas said...

MR we must disabuse you of these notions

You must be absorbed into the body of good

That was no robber, it was simply a deprived individual seeking social justice from the propertied society which has deprived him of his birthright of good self image

;)

Time for webcams on crack around the grounds, baby.

Once it happens, it's no longer arguable as to prudence or paranoia, is it?

Good going.
Glad u weren't in the news

Always On Watch said...

MR,
Bet you won't get any more grief about wearing your sidearm in the house now!

My father (1911-1998) always answered the door with a firearm in his hand when unexpected guests came calling. People learned to phone ahead!

Anonymous said...

Glad you and your family are OK but you violated the rule of not having your house secure while you are inside. No unlocked/open doors.

revereridesagain said...

Lock the door.

Feed the doggie.

Replace the thermostat cover.

Feed the doggie again.

Great job and man am I glad I'm not reading about a "home invasion" this morning! Hope the story has spread all over the neighborhood by now and will reach the ears of the would-be perp(s) which should go a long way towards making your local streets safer.

Go feed the doggie again...

:}

Pastorius said...

I don't know which I'm more bothered by, the fact that you are a Bible-clinger, or a gun-clinger.

;-)

Keep that gun handy. The guy might be back.

christian soldier said...

.. and get a terrier for yourself!!!They are BIG dogs in little bodies-!!!
This has given me the push needed to get to the range...
Thank you - MR....
C-CS

midnight rider said...

Thanks all. Rest of the night was quiet if somewhat sleep deprived. And of course today I have major problems at work so no coasting today.

Dr. B -- bought the gun second hand from a favorite dealer a few months back so don't know it's provenance. It may have been an "aftermarket modification" or special order. But it is an older gun in good shape. And has quickly become a favorite.

No central air thus the slightly open door for airflow while awake.

Dog has been well taken care of. Good boy.

As for the neighborhood -- mom lives right around the corner. Once she knew, and the friend/neighbor across the street saw the flashing lights at midnight, well. . .

revereridesagain said...

"Blizzard" brand fans, oscillating, 2 speeds, silent, floor and table size models. You'll never miss AC or need to leave the door cracked again.

Xavier said...

Great job. I try to never question what a person did in a situation like this. You obviously are doing your own "after action review," and you were there, not me.

I took the liberty of republishing you story on my blog, since you left it in the comments. It deserves to be more prominent. I gave links back to your original. If you would like me to take it down, no worries, I will.

May you and your's continue to know the peace and reassurance that only a full magazine of 00 Buck can give.

Buy that doggie a porkchop!

Robert Langham said...

Thanks for posting. Might help someone else. Best in the future. GOOD Pooch!

Unknown said...

So, I'm the old lady of the house (age 71) and I have a wee little Keltec that fits perfectly in my front pocket. I never answer the door without it!!

midnight rider said...

Rowena -- a .32 to the eye stops quicker than a .44 to the thigh :)

midnight rider said...

Oh and by the way, Cental Scrutinizer I mean Epa -- let me assure you that this propertied society dweller was quite ready to deal that deprived individual some of my own brand of social justice ;>)

Chad Bearden said...

You have 2 guns. The dog discovered the intruder. Your wife slammed the door. The perp never saw your guns. You never fired your guns. It seems to me you wife is the hero along with your daughter's dog.

I'm glad you didn't shoot yourself or your family. In short, having guns on your hip or in your house did nothing to deter the possible crime.

Your story is an admission that gun ownership does not deter crime.

midnight rider said...

Chad Bearden -- if you read the post I say my wife is the one who probably chased off the perp.

You're the type who would rather wait for the cops to show up while your family is attacked. "oh no Mr Bad Guy! Please don't hurt them the police are on the way to give you a fair fight."

Not me.

You're exactly the person I'm talking about in the last sentence.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Bearden: FYI.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_169_28/ai_114475580/?tag=content;col1

midnight rider said...

Thanks anonymous. Hadn't seen this one before but The Ayoob Files is one of my favorite columns in American Handgunner.

Glad my own dumbass decided not to tempt a "catastrophic failure of the victim selection process".

"Be careful. Strange things happen."

You betcha.

eyes wide open said...

Hey Bearden, are you one of the ignoramuses that voted for change in obama?

Your analysis of this article is deeply flawed. What about all of those scenarios that the innocent is killed and or raped by the aggressor? These events are happening by the hundreds daily all over the country. What freekin world do you live in anyway?

Are you in one of those posh neighborhoods that are to inconvenient for the violent criminal to get to? You are a fool who is truly ignorant to the real world around you. If you do not live in one of those relatively safe places then it is simply a matter of time before you or yours become the victim. Your tune will change if you survive.

Your type advocates the end of the second amendment from the security of an ivory tower. That is easy for y'all. Our dirt-bag politicians, every one of them from both parties, enjoy the publicly funded security yet desire to see us stripped of our ability to defend ourselves.

Lets be real, however, it is not about our self-defense arms it is that they fear an armed citizenry. If they were not corrupt then they would have nothing to fear.