Saturday, October 09, 2010


God's Strange Sense of Humor: Sends Stogie to Work With Muslim Accountants


This post is from my friend Stogie. I have had strange happenings like this in my life as well, though I can not write about them because they are too personal.

I am glad to post Stogie writing here, because he expresses the way I feel as well.


On Wednesday I responded to a Craig's list ad for a senior CPA for audit and tax, so responded to it.  The poster of the ad called me, gushing over my extensive resume, and asked me to come in and talk to him.  I did.  I knew from his name and accent he was Indian, but did not know that he was a Muslim until I sat down in front of his desk.  He had a beard, and there was a Muslim newsletter laying on his desk.  It was then that I silently spoke to God:  "You really have a strange sense of humor!"
He was a young guy who is facing his third tax season and needs some help.  I found him personally likeable, so said I'd come back the next day and do some work for him and see how it goes.
Today he introduced me to some of his associates, all Muslims.  One was a client; the other was a marketing consultant, complete with white knitted cap, and the other was an employee, a young man who has passed the CPA exam but has no experience.  I found all of them to be very likeable, cheerful and possessing a healthy sense of humor.  They seemed totally accepting of me and I returned their friendliness.
My new associate took me to lunch at an Indian restaurant.  When we returned to the office, he did his afternoon prayers right there in the office, bowing towards Mecca in the middle of the floor.  I didn't mind.  I almost told him to pray for more business, but thought the better of it.
I don't know where this is going to lead, but I will stick with them for awhile, and sincerely try to help them.  I figure God has his reasons for this association and I want to see what they are.  I suspect the lesson to be learned is that, although Islam is a violent, oppressive and cruel ideology, many of its adherents are innocents, sincerely trying to do the right thing and live productive lives.  Many Muslims are decent people. 

Go read the whole thing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Pastorius.
yes God has a great sense of humor.lol
Last flight i had oversees he put me next to a Hasidic Jewish Rabbi ,fine man,prayed a whole lot and we talked a lot also.God truly works in mysteious ways altough sometimes jokingly.

revereridesagain said...

You were expecting shrieking shahids in bomb belts? I'd say one of the first things to find out is whether these "likable, cheerful" guys (no women in the firm, I presume?), are engaged in Sharia finance. Since they did afternoon prayers (not just morning/evening) they would appear to be rather devout.

Yes, nice sense of humor your god has indeed. If I believed in him I'd have a few comments on that. The Ph.D Lt. Col. Satanist high priest child molestor/sex slave pimp I ran afoul of about 30 years ago was a real giggle.

abdooss said...

RRA,
If there is a mob set to lynch infidels (if any) while you are having your stroll in town, and I am passing by in my vehicle, I will surely offer you the ride to get away from all that. In fact, I will offer anyone to escape from any mob.

revereridesagain said...

Um, thanks abdooss. They haven't mobbed me yet. They do sort of swarm sometimes though! (About 400 years ago they used to hang "witches" in the town next to mine, but they don't do that any more -- in fact, the witches-for-fun are a big part of the local economy.)

OK, the rest of you lot go over to JihadWatch and read the post about the US Embassy and the Irish Muslim (you read that right) business conference. Comments and all. As Cher said in Moonstruck -- "Snap out of it!"

Black_Rain said...

they will do anything to keep from paying taxes.. ANYTHING... he should be careful..very careful..

when i wa a jeweler, years ago. there was a saying among jewelers..
"NEVER WORK FOR AN F'n ARAB." that probably includes all Muslims also..

i went for an audition as a 7 year journeyman, 12 years experience, i learned Smithing in Africa. ..i went just for the experience, i had studied under 3 European certified masters. it was a real mistake. freaking insane, this guy had a pretty big repair business, but all his 6 jewelers had all walked out at once..i later learned it wasn't the first time.. for the same reason. he couldn't treat people like human beings. he wasn't interested in me, probably because i knew what i was doing and how the business was supposed to be run..

your friend could get associated with the transfer of funds to illegal charities, terrorist perhaps. they could be looking for someone to hang the rap on if they were audited.. they couldn't do anything legally if their life depended on it.

revereridesagain said...

Since it's a work situation, the usual cult-visiting advice of a) don't go in there alone, and b) never cooperate, doesn't apply and would be inappropriate in a job setting. But I admit to being a bit puzzled that someone as obviously islam-aware as Stogie is just accepting these guys on face value.

Of course, being female, I never would have found myself in this particular situation, would I? Did they specify male applicants only (is that legal?) and I wonder how would they have handled it had a woman answered the ad?