Thursday, July 11, 2013


Prosecutors Drop One Charge, Add Third Degree Murder Charge, Premised on Underlying Charge of... Felony Child Abuse


Fuck you, Justice

From Ace of Spades:
What fresh charge is this? 
A third degree murder charge can only be had if a homicide occurs in the course of committing another felony. 
So what felony was George Zimmerman guilty of committing at the time of the shooting? Is it illegal to have one's head repeatedly battered against the cement? 
Nope. He is guilty, per the State's theory, of aggravated child abuse, the child in question being 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. 
And the "abuse" part of it? Who knows, who knows. The state is dropping an aggravated assault charge so apparently aggravated assault does not constitute the aggravated abuse of a child in this case. So what could it be? Following the kid for five minutes? 
Zimmerman's lawyers object forcefully, noting that the state has a "fully formed argument" on this charge but has not given notice to the defense to argue against it. That is, it is unfair surprise to spring a charge on a defendant after the trial has concluded which the defense was never able to argue against because they didn't even know it was being charged. 
Is this America?
GO READ THE WHOLE STORY AT ACE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holder must be waving one heck of a cushy carrot (political appointment) in front of this judge to achieve this. Is there a Supreme Court judge about to retire or something?

Epaminondas said...

Judge threw it out I think.

I can't believe the state proved anything past a reasonable doubt.

Riots ahead?

Pastorius said...

I think he will be acquitted and I believe there will be a tepid attempt at riots, but nothing that serious.

I could be wrong about Florida though. I have been there, and I hate the place, but I could not say I actually understand the culture, I guess.

Pastorius said...

By the way, when I say I have been there, god, have I ever been there. I have spent WEEKS in Florida. I really do not want to go back EVER.