Sunday, May 01, 2016

"Yo, Barry, you did it, my nigga!”

Larry Wilmore, comedian, closing his monologue last night at the WH press corps dinner(roast)
While we can argue as to the real, and extended cultural significance of that (if any) what really caught my eye was this:
“All jokes aside, let me just say how much it means for me to be here tonight,” he said. “I’ve always joked that I voted for the president because he’s black.”“But behind that joke is the humble appreciation for the historical implications for what your presidency means,” Wilmore added. “When I was a kid, I lived in a country where people couldn’t accept a black quarterback. Now think about that. A black man was thought by his mere color not good enough to lead a football team. And now to live in your time, Mr. President, when a black man can lead the entire free world.”
I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have NEVER, EVER had doubt that there would be a black president (altho under NO circumstances would that be a reason for voting for him/her)
One day there will be a Jewish president (and I look forward to THAT visit to KSA), a Sikh president, a female president, a Hindu president, yadda yadda.
I have absolutely NO DOUBT.
Because there are far more people interested in who can do the job well than in some birth characteristic this future president had no control over.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The identity of the quote in the image is mis-spelled...Frances/Francis/Franny Trollope.
I looked her up and it appears her chosen topics for writing would not fit the quote as posted.
Interesting background for a woman of her time.

Epaminondas said...

I'll see if I can you the source.

I found the quote and then found the image, the combination is created by yours truly

Epaminondas said...

However, considering her time in america the subject is PRECISELY appropriate to her writings. She was here for one of the UGLIEST elections in american history, and then the election of the ultimate 'crudity' and one of the finest presidents, proving the meaning of that quote - Andrew Jackson

Epaminondas said...

BINGO

Epaminondas said...

From "Domestic Manners of the AMericans"

Nicoenarg said...

Obama is the first black president of the US. As for being the LEADER of the free world....ha ha ha hahaha!!!!

Epaminondas said...

Well, let's be accurate, Nico. He is the COMPLETELY IGNORED, nominal leader of a supposed free world, whose decline has been nurtured by his lack of REAL leadership ability