Thursday, August 10, 2006

Muslim On The Street Interview

From Charles Henry at No Dhimmitude:


I make a point of chatting with Passenger B as our bus gets going ...

I ask the same sincere question I ask every muslim I talk with: how do you feel about all the killing that is being done in the name of your god, allah? His answer was more honest than most.

"Ohh, it is terrible, horrible..! These are demons sent from hell."

Are you shia, I ask, or sunni?

"No, neither", he says; his smile starts to waver now.

"Druze..?" I ask, reaching into the corners of my mind's understanding of islam.

"No, no, none of these. I am simply a muslim."

Thinking I'd have time later to explore the theology behind a potentially ecumenical muslim, I get back to the other question that haunts me about our current war against islam.

"Are there many others like you, within islam, that are ashamed of the evil being done in the name of your faith? Is there a group, a formal organization, trying to reclaim the true islam from the fanatics that are speaking and acting in its name?"

Now the smile is gone for good.

"No, nothing", he says, visibly shaken; with a finger swinging across his throat, he adds, "if I say what I really am thinking, I would be killed, they would kill me."


Read the rest.

No comments: