Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Khaled Centanni

Gormless Norman says what I've been thinking, but couldn't find tactful words to say:


I can't get past this story.

Steve Centanni is a coward.

But Gormless Norman, what would you do if you were kidnapped, possibly tortured, and the only way you could escape was by pretending to convert to Islam?

Ok, maybe I would also take the cowardly way out. If I did so, I hope I would then be ashamed of myself. And I hope the society I came home to would recognize my behavior as cowardly.

Centanni took the cowardly way out. But there is no indication that he feels ashamed in any way of converting to Islam to save his precious skin, and there is no indication that our society retains any trace of the notion that this is cowardly behavior.

There's no indication our society even maintains the categories of "courageous" and "cowardly" any more.

Nobody is calling Centanni a coward, as far as I've seen. This says just about everything you need to know about the current war: Westerners would rather convert to Islam than die, because we value bare life above any transcendent idea or principle.


I'd love to hear what others have to say about this.

Here is what I would hope that I would do if I were in a similar situation.

6 comments:

Epaminondas said...

Let's see what he says to Great tonight at 10

I look at it as euchering a bunch of murdering bastards who wouldn't know the truth if it was administered by their proctologists.

KG said...

I agree with Pastorius and hope to God I'd have more courage in those circumstances.

Pastorius said...

Gormless Norman,
If the West doesn't figure out what it is willing to die for, it will surely die.

I pray that I would be willing to turn my neck to the sword, if I were in Centanni's situation. I pray that I would say, "No, to Allah. My God is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. My God is the One who sent Yeshua as Moshiach. Send Me to Him, and know that Allah will burn in Eternal Fire for having tried to get me."

If you don't believe in such a God, then Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death," will suffice.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Pastorius said...

But, of course, Jill Carrol is a woman, so we expect less of her because of the, you know, the glass ceiling and stuff.

Jill Carrol cried and cried, and even now, she speaks of herself as a victim, but never, to my knowledge comes out and warns America that her experience will be theirs, if we don't all straighten up and pay attention.

I find little honor in her either.

But, of course, as you note, that's easy for me to say. I haven't been in their position.

Pastorius said...

I checked out your comment and commented upon it.

By the way, if you like Everything Dhinger, you will love

www.iraqwarwrong.blogspot.com

Pastorius said...

Yes, I agree he definately said it more betterer. I actually did a post on this for precisely that reason.