Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Powell to GOP - Americans want to pay for services, return to center

HERE

It's amazing what distance from real life will do to your vision.

WHAT SERVICES?
Here are the services I receive from govt:

  1. Garbage Collection (which was FAR superior when we paid private garbage haulers $2/week, and more when we had big stuff to get rid of...NONE OF WHICH can be given to the govt authorized service, local)
  2. Roads being maintained (good job plowing, but fix the holes, local)
  3. Schools (not anymore, but I'll pay for that...it's called sales and property tax, state and local)
  4. Unemployment? Well I needed it once, but when I started my own business, even though I drew no moneys, THEY WANTED IT BACK
  5. Clean air and water? We have a well. Air looks good. They create neither.
  6. Protection, well locally we can leave our door unlocked at night, and sometime forget and do, nationally .. we need defense, and I'll pay for that.


When I have a problem with 1-3 I go to town hall where an actual human listens. But I live in a town with about 1200 voters. Once we get beyond that, policies are made beyond my ability to strongly influence. Therefore, I prefer as little of that as possible. SMALLER GOVT.

Powell says: "Americans are looking for more government in their life, not less."

I believe that to be either an error by Powell or the American people.

Distant people with weird views of life, who have a very different set of experience from yours, different needs, different wants, ... well I don't want more of them deciding things about what I can do or not.

While I believe conservatism based on religious values are a danger since faith is dangerous in making law for all, and that so called religious conservatives should take caution from Goldwater's admonitions, I am not so sure that a move to be more like democrats is in the interest of either the Republican party or the nation. Powell singles out Eric Cantor who is no right wing freak, and Rush Limbaugh, whose views on only a few topics could be characterized that way, IF YOU ARE OF THE LEFT.

More still, American political views run like a sine wave. Sooner or later the wave returns back to 0 and then above. Sooner or later a theory of governing runs into problems, it's called nature and chance. And when that happens shall we have center-left and way-left be the choices?

I am not so sure that a move to be more like democrats is in the interest of either the Republican party or the nation. I will have to think more.

Being defined as a moderate or independent does not mean one has oatmeal views either(hear me, Rush?), it may mean that you have choices which MAY be thought of as considerably left or considerably right on succeeding issues such as I do on respectively, gay marriage, and what defines national security.

By moving to the center the Republican party will narrow my choices. So I will have to think more.

But ironically the leftward lurch in the democratic party and what THEY perceive (after this election which was in REALITY - based on Republican corruption, and mishandling, and Lehman Bros and real estate value bubble economic-shock), as a SEA change in the American people (it isn't sport fans) may in the end cause there to be more republicans, SOONER OR LATER, just as inevitably Hastert, Foley, Delay, Livingstone, and their ilk caused there to be fewer.

Reps Hoekstra, Cantor, and King, maybe Bachmann may set the example.
MAY.

1 comment:

SamenoKami said...

If both parties look and act the same, there will soon be no choices and nothing left of this country but ashes. The US will/can never be reconstituted from those ashes. If we and the world lose this experiment in freedom, it will be lost to all of mankind for the rest of eternity. The Republicans moving to the center will turn out just like McCain's stupid endeavor to attract the Latino vote. Epic. Fail. Why vote for a fake Demo, when you can get the real thing?