Friday, May 15, 2009

Roger Simon Makes The Argument For The Existence Of God From HIS Recognition Of The Existence Of Evil

Frankly, how very Boomer of him (a generation defined by it's relentless tautological self-referentialism).

Still, I admire the courage of his ability to continuously question. He has a restless mind and I like that.


How Ahmadinejad Made Me a Believer

I have never been much of a believer.

The very night of my bar mitzvah - back in that early Paleolithic Age known as the 1950s - I went to see “Inherent the Wind” the play about the Scopes Monkey Trial with Paul Muni as the legendary attorney Clarence Darrow, upending some Tennessee yokels who wouldn’t allow teaching Darwin in the schools. Just the ticket for a wannabe smarty-pants New York boy

I returned to ask my parents, who were then in bed: “Do you believe in God?” Before they had a chance to answer – they were liberals and looking for a “measured” response – I blurted out proudly “Well, I don’t.”

Never mind that the theory of evolution has little to do, probatively, with a belief in God. Teenage rebellion coupled with some precocious reading of Bertrand Russell – he was cool and smoked a pipe - had taken over. From then on in I proclaimed myself an atheist or… or more specifically… an agnostic. I mean - who knew, right?

In fact, lo these decades later, I still don’t know. I usually joke with those few who are interested that the existence of God – as someone else said on a related matter - was “above my grade.” And, of course, in a literal sense, it is. St. Thomas, St. Anselm or Maimonides…. I am not. Far from it. In fact, to be blunt, I went along in my life mostly ignoring the big issue, lost in the Big Bang, as it were.

Sometimes I would explain, if pressed, that in a universe of, according to some Australian astronomer, 70 sextillion stars – that’s 22 zeros – it was hard to conceive of a deity interested in daily affairs on our speck of a planet: less than one grain of sand on all the beaches of the world combined, by comparison.

And then there was the matter of the Holocaust. How could a beneficent God… or any God worth worshipping… have permitted that? I still have trouble with that one.

So I remained unmoved as an agnostic… even if my wife and I did send our daughter to a Chabad Sunday school for a couple of years… Hey, whoever said I was consistent?

Meanwhile, however, I was going through a political transformation of a sort, which I won’t detail here, but describe in my memoir Blacklisting Myself. But during a CSPAN interview on the book, Armstrong Williams did challenge me on my religious beliefs.

Suffice it to say, that although I moved ideologically rightward on a number of issues, that didn’t include social ones. I was still the good old agnostic I always was.

Until I went to Geneva, Switzerland a couple of weeks ago. I was there to cover Durban II, aka the Durban Review Conference – an attempt by the United Nations to ratify the results of its 2001 human rights conclave in Durban, South Africa.

Actually that original conference was an orgy of anti-Semitism from which Israel and the US walked out.It was nothing worth ratifying unless you were racist. I was in Geneva with others to monitor the situation.

But I didn’t realize the man who turned out to be the conference’s key speaker – President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of the Islamic Republic of Iran - would be staying in my hotel. I learned that surprising fact from some Swiss security people only minutes before I saw the Iranian president face to face.

Standing in the lobby of the Intercontinental Hotel, we were suddenly told to put our cameras away.We were not allowed to take pictures and indeed had to keep our cell phones in our pockets, lest they be construed as a weapon.

I heard screaming sirens followed by shrieking motor cycles when Ahmadinejad himself entered, accompanied by a phalanx of Iranian secret service, all of whom were larger than he. He was indeed a small man, almost diminutive, and marched straight across the lobby in what seemed at the time like a goose step a few feet away from me, staring directly at me while waving and smiling in my direction.

I did not wave or smile back.

I couldn’t. Indeed, I was frozen. I felt suddenly breathless and nauseated, as if I had been kicked brutally in the stomach. I was also dizzy. I wanted to throw up. But no one had touched me and I hadn’t eaten anything for hours.

It was then, I think, that I found, or noticed, or understood, religion personally for a moment.

Here’s what I mean.

For most of my life I had rationalized the existence of bad people – or, more specifically, placed them in therapeutic categories. They were aberrant personalities, psychologically disturbed. It wasn’t that I thought better economic conditions or psychoanalysis or medication or whatever could fix everyone. I was long over that. Some people… serial killers, etc…. had to be locked away forever. They would never get better. But they were simply insane. That’s what they were.

Still… I had seen whacked murderers like Charles Manson, late OJ Simpson, up close and this wasn’t the same. This was more than the mental illness model. Far more. For one thing, I had never before had this intense physical sensation when confronted with another human being. Nor had I wanted to vomit. Not for Manson. Not for anyone. This was different.

It was almost unreal, like being in a movie, in a certain way. I know comparisons to Hitler are invidious, in fact usually absurd, but I was feeling the way I imagined I would have felt opposite Hitler.

I was in the presence of pure Evil.

Now that’s a big word and I have spent my life reluctant to use it. But there it was – popping up out of my mouth within seconds of the Iranian leaders disappearance into the hotel elevator. For once, “psychopath” or “sociopath” did not feel remotely appropriate. Only the E-word would suffice.

The next day Ahmadinejad spewed his Holocaust denying bile to the United Nations plenum – ratifying that evil, if not the repellent Durban I - and some, but not nearly enough, of the state representative’s walked off. Enough would have been all of them.

A short time after that, I saw the Iranian again, up close and personal, although I really didn’t want to do it.

In fact I would have preferred to be almost anywhere else but in that room with him at a press conference as he twisted the logic of the journalist’s questions, turning the word “democracy” into “tyranny,” “freedom” into “oppression” and “tolerance” into “racism.”

I didn’t say anything. I didn’t know how to address or question evil, although by then I knew to my core I was facing it.

This was the guy that my president wanted to talk with?

That night I felt agitated. I couldn’t sleep well – from jet lag, of course, but also from digesting this experience. So I took an Ambien around two a. m. to get some rest. Not more than twenty minutes later someone banged on my door.

I sat up in my bed. The three floors above me had been taken by the Iranian delegation. Had they come to get me? Was I the next Daniel Perle? I knew UN officials had been reading my reports on the conference…. which weren’t friendly… why not the Iranians?

I lay there in bed for a moment wishing I hadn’t taken that Ambien. Then I screwed up some courage, threw my feet over the side and stumbled groggily to the peephole.

No one was there.

Had it just been some drunk banging on the wrong door? Or my perfervid imagination? I didn’t know. But I did know I didn’t want any more to do with Evil. I had had enough. I took another pill and went off to a drugged-out sleep.

So how does this make me religious?

Well, just as there are no atheists in foxholes, maybe no one is an atheist when confronted with what he finally acknowledges to be Evil. If there is Evil, there must be Good, no? And some force governing this game, something that, well, looks over it.

I know I am being irrational here, so I will stop. Being in the presence of Ahmadinejad’s evil, fleeting and haltingly put me in the presence of something else.

It’s strange come to things that way, but there you are. This doesn’t mean, of course, that you will find me at temple on the Sabbath or any other holiday for that matter. Or even spending much time admitting I am religious. I may even deny it. I’m not a joiner anyway, except in the old Groucho Marx sense about clubs and members. And any belief in the Ten Commandments can be ascribed to the practical. It’s just a smart way to live a happy life, as most of us know – pragmatic, really. And I’m certainly not about to give up carnitas.

Still… I wonder what happened to that thirteen-year old boy.

Maybe I’ll meet him some day again.

This Roger L. Simon and I’ve been Talking Through My Hat.

9 comments:

Epaminondas said...

We're here.

Bags of chemicals that see, hear, think and occasionally reason.

The product of raw chance that animated matter in just the right way at just the right time?

Maybe

All built on a malleable joining force in nature (the hydrogen bond)?

Only if chance believes in the ironic, and billions of years of life built on other methods of chemical attraction occurred and failed (something there is no record of) or failed against ours

Lucky the first time in an infinite variety of possibilities?

Maybe

But what are the odds?

Simon is right.
So if you bump into Satan, be sure and thank him for proving there is a God.

There is something all right.
I have a few what might be considered impertinent questions for him or her, or it. But there is something.

We're here.

Chance is a thin reed of explanation.

And it's science which has caused this feeling in me.

Pastorius said...

I believe Charles Johnson would ban you for writing what you just wrote.

;-)

Anyway, I've met some bad people, but I've never met anyone who I believed was pure evil.

That being said, I was present at the scene of a suicide about two seconds after it happened. There was an unhinged feeling, as if the continuum of reality had been broken, and the thought that kept going through my mind was, "This is wrong. This is just wrong."

The impression I had was of overwhelming sadness and negativity. It did not seem to be my feeling that I was experiencing, and it certainly was not the feelings of the others around me, who, for the most part, were either screaming, or craning their necks wanting to see the gore.

For me, it seemed to be a spiritual experience.

So, I can understand Simon's impressions.

Of course, it would be easy to explain such feelings away as just the kind of overreaction one has to overwhelming circumstances. But, of course, we all know what overwhelming circumstances are. We've all had experiences with the deaths of loved ones. Many of us have had loved ones die suddenly. And, it is just not the same.

Death feels natural. It's not unexpected. But, when we get a glimpse of the reality behind this beauiful architecture of matter, that is another thing entirely.

revereridesagain said...

I had a response all written out, but I'm sorry, it's just too early and Grant, Ed, or Bosch would do a much better job of it. Plus my mother just called to tell me Karl Rove looks like the essence of Evil yet she couldn't quite recall which one is that Ahmadinejad feller and so, like Simon, I sort of feel like throwing up.

So trying to deal with the If You Don't Believe In God You Must Belive Everything Is Random And Meaningless argument is just too much right now. Anyway, it seems to be impossible to convince those who believe in God that those of us who don't nevertheless find infinite meaning in this world you say we attribute to random and meaningless chance. Or how mindfreezingly terrifying it would be for us to confront a world in which a giant old man (you're the ones who claim he made us in his image, do the logic) in the sky controlled everything in our lives according to his "Will".

Easier to believe there must be Something Wrong with us.

In any case, that is a spectacular account by Simon of what it's like to confront a truly evil person and I do have a suggestion as to why it stuck Simon so forcefully. Ahmadinejad believes that he must help to bring about a perfect storm of violence, destruction and chaos to trigger the return of the Mahdi, who will then institute an ironclad eternal tyranny over the world forever. That may be the Good to him, but objectively speaking there is nothing but evil there. And that does tend to radiate out through ones personality. It is to Simon's credit that he acknowledges recognizing it.

But Ahmadinejad believes what he wants is the Good, right? So who are we to say, right? We are who to say because good and evil have meaning only in a human context, and destruction and chaos followed by slavery and stagnation and terror is demonstrably evil in a human context. The Dwarf's fantasies notwithstanding.

Meanwhile I'm thinking about changing my username to Bag of Chemicals Who Occasionally Reasons But Only After She's Had Her Coffee.

Anonymous said...

RRA -

Although I do believe in God, I believe one can live a moral and ethical life without that belief.

There is an argument about not abusing animals because they have the capacity to suffer.

You don't need to believe in God to fight for animal protection.

I know it seems trite, but I believe that in the same way, for instance, human beings should not enslave other human beings because they know and want freedom, and there is a dignity and autonomy inherent in that knowledge and belief.

Just as you don't need a theology to believe that "might makes right", you don't need a theology to believe that human beings have inherent dignity and rights.

As we have seen, the worst kinds of abuse of other human beings are perpetrated by both those who believe in a god, AND those who profess absolutely no such belief.


Ro

Pastorius said...

RRA,
According to the Judeo-Christian belief system, we are not automatons controlled by an old man in the sky.

God maintains control over everything, but he does not direct everything that takes place.

We were Created in His Image, which means we have Free Will and the ability to create ourselves.

God respects that. In fact, according to Christian doctrine, God went so far as to die for our continued Free Will (for the only other choices would have been to destroy us, or to turn us into automatons).

There are many people who misstate Christian doctrine. The tragedy of this is that those who are taught errors then end up being angry at the Judeo-Christian religions for things which the religions themselves do not even hold to be true.

It certainly is reasonable to say that one does not believe in God. And, it is just as reasonable to say that one does believe in God. However, it is not reasonable to say one knows for sure that God does not exist. And, it is also unreasonable to say that one knows for sure that God exists, except through spiritual experience, which can only be interpreted as a matter of opinion, by anyone who did not have the experience firsthand.

The Bible itself says that we know God through Faith, and that "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." This is to be understood in the same way that we understand the manifestation of law which we can observe in a family. Do we know for sure that love, as a thing, exists? No, but we can see evidence for it's existence in front of our very eyes.

Or, we could just as easily convince ourselves that love is merely cleverly deceptive selfishness.

It's up to us, because we do have Free Will, and we are not automatons.

Pastorius said...

Ro,
I agree with your comment.

However, there is evidence for the fact that the doctrines of Christianity and Judaism do actually lead to a more just world.

Certainly, the Jews have always lived more just lives than mankind as a whole.

And, as the centuries have progressed since the time of Christ, we see that the breaking down of the concept of the necessity of an earthly mediator between God and Man, and the relatively new idea (to Gentiles) that all human beings have a direct line to God through prayer, has become the foundation of our march towards Freedom as a human race. After all, if every human being can talk to God, then certainly no King can tell him what to do.

Whether one believes in God or not, it seems to me that one has to concede that the Judeo-Christian ideology has changed the world for the better.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Pastorius.

However, there are those with a profound belief in natural rights, human dignity and freedom who profess no belief in a deity.

My point is that their beliefs are just as valid coming from a position of non-theological natural rights as mine are coming from the Judeo-Christian ethic of the "dignity of every human soul."

RRA contributes some of the most profound content on this site, and does so from a purely "natural" law perspective.

Ayn Rand was a dyed-in-the-wool atheist, but if we had an economic system based on Objectivism, there would be room for all of us.

Including those of us who believe we are called to charitable works and giving! Just would not be "giving" under government compulsion.

Ro

Pastorius said...

Ro,
Yes, I agree RRA does contribute some of the most profound content here, and I do recognize her worldview as reasonable and valid.

My question is, does she also recognize my worldview as valid. It seems to me she does not recognize it as reasonable.

But that's ok with me, cuz we're all Infidels.

Anonymous said...

I believe the malevolent little prick in Columbo duds will indeed play a prime role in the future destruction of millions of human beings on this planet.

Yet I find the "free will" argument, typically invoked to explain the seemingly inexplicable actions (or usually inactions) of a supposedly omnipotent deity, to be extremely weak.

My conception of a "good" and "just" god is entirely incompatible with (his/her/it) quietly endorsing or otherwise prioritizing the free will of a monster like Hitler over and above the multiple free wills of the millions of innocent men, women, and children who became his victims.

If there really is a god - a good and rational shepherd of humanity - then the Iranian HitlerV2 would now be stone cold dead, and Roger Simon would be a MUCH bigger hero of the counter-jihad community. The comparatively minor details of a divinely furnished weapon and a suitable kinetic opportunity would have just tended to work themselves out.

Islam is entirely a human problem. that will require a human solution.

We'll handle it, but go on ahead and pray for divine assistance if it makes you feel better or stronger.