Thursday, September 10, 2009

A 9/11 Story

As it is already September 11, 2009 in Dubai. I felt compelled to write and post this right now.

There was a house in the corner of a street in a small city of a well known Muslim country. In the living room of that house, the TV set was showing images—repeated images of an event that had just taken place. Two commercial airliners had flown into the World Trade Center. There were huge clouds of smoke coming out of the World Trade Center. There was confusion on the streets in New York. However, there was rejoicing in this house—not unlike many other houses on that street, in that city, in that country and in that region.

The people that were rejoicing in that house weren’t just fundamentalist Muslim jihadists who held Ak-47s in one hand and Qurans in the other. The people that were rejoicing included teenagers, the youngest of whom was 16 years old. They were jumping with joy and repeating, “Palestinians have finally hit the great Satan. Allah has punished those infidels.” Just around that time the towers came tumbling down. “Yes!” the ‘teenagers’ exclaimed. That was what they were hoping for—the symbol of New York City’s success to come tumbling down “because of the wrath of Allah”. “The symbol”, they thought, “of the Jewish power and control in America was finally destroyed.” To them it truly was a victory of the Palestinian people and the Muslims world over. Where the images displayed on TV over and over of burning buildings and then the videos played of those buildings as they were falling were a source of pain, suffering, sorrow and agony in America, those same images and videos were a source of pleasure for the occupants of this house.

Sweets were distributed on that same street right after that news had reached all the neighboring houses. People hugged and congratulated each other. They were fully aware that thousands of people had died, but so what? “They deserved it”, everyone exclaimed. As everyone came together united to stand up for the Union in America, the same way people came out on the streets, united, for their cause all over the Muslim world chanting, “Death to America”. Muslims had brought the war to America, the strongest nation in the world and they had done so loud and clear.

What happened after that is irrelevant for now. What I can say here is that that day in September is one some of us will never forget. Each of us has their own reason to remember and relate to that day and I just wanted to share mine. I just happen to have a very special relationship with that 16 year old teenager in that house in the corner of that street in a small city of a well known Muslim country. I know every thought that was going through that young man’s mind and I can never get myself to forget that because that 16 year old teenager, who jumped with joy at the deaths of 3000 innocent Americans when the World Trade Center came down was none other than “Avenging Apostate” who is writing this post right now.

It’s true that I am a different person now. It is true that I have changed. But I have never been able to forgive myself for my reaction on that September day. It has been 8 years since that happened but I still can’t get myself to watch the 9/11 videos without shedding tears, because it still reminds me of how I felt back then—because it still reminds me of the worst crime I have ever committed against the people that have never done me any harm. People that when I was in trouble stood by me. People that were brave enough to baptize me when no one else was willing. It was these people that I once hated that helped me complete my transition from my old ways to my new life.

Today, I salute the American people for who they are but I do so with my head bowed in shame and guilt for who I used to be. May God bless and keep the United States of America.

12 comments:

christian soldier said...

Those who have done an 180 ( a complete change of heart-a turn around) - are usually the most passionate ...
I admire you-- AA- for telling your story...and for standing strong for our Lord and for TRUTH...
C-CS

Anonymous said...

I take heart in believing there are many more like you AA, but unlike you, these poor souls feel trapped within their societies and do not enjoy or benefit from a secreted connection to a better way.
As a mutt from generations of both Christians and Jews, I celebrate your awakening and mourn this unforgiveable horror with you.

midnight rider said...

Avenging Apostate --

If, as a Christian now, you truly believe God has forgiven you then you should follow his example and forgive yourself.

Pastorius said...

Yeah, AA, God forgives you, and you don't know better than God.

Believe me, I understand guilt. I live with it myself, because I took a girl for an abortion once. Very painful for me to remember.

revereridesagain said...

AA, you are not that 16 year old any more. You can stand against that darkness more firmly because you have seen it from the inside.

revereridesagain said...

I have known many, many people who have come out of fanatic cults which had turned them against their families, everyone else they cared for, and anyone who was not part of the cult. Those of us who have been touched by that sort of evil stand together in our resolve to help stop that from happening to others. Just as we all stand together here against those who perpetrated 9/11 and who wanted to make you like themselves.

If I felt guilty about everything other people think I should feel guilty about I wouldn't be able to function at all.

Anonymous said...

your a new man. that has been washed away. put it behind you this year.

Always On Watch said...

Avenging Apostate,
I have never been able to forgive myself for my reaction on that September day.

Remember whom Jesus forgave while He was being nailed to the cross?

Remember whom Jesus forgave while He was hanging on the cross?

You are forgiven. Repent and your are forgiven.

No sin is beyond God's forgiveness.

Forgive yourself. You are "a new man" in Christ. We have the Word telling us so.

real estate agent in Vancouver said...

We all make mistakes. The thing is to once you understand it was a mistake, to challange it and to find the power to change yourself.
JAy

heidianne jackson said...

what a beautiful and heartfelt remembrance. thank you for sharing and thank you for standing strong against that evil now.

defiant_infidel said...

AA, I remember reading your posts with great interest when you wrote with Pedestrian Infidel. Until now, I did not know where you went, but found you today (of all days!) through a link at "Z's" blog...

I remember marveling at your courage when you described your fears of your own parent's possible discovery of your conversion to Christianity. I thought about you enduring the potential deadly repercussions. You even wrote about them despite the dangers. I hugely admire your bravery.

And I also lived and worked for three years in Dubai...

I encourage you to grant yourself forgiveness. Read the good Lord's words and know He understands and forgives you already.

I am so glad to have found you once again... God bless you.

Pastorius said...

Romans 8: 38-39 -

38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.