Monday, October 25, 2010

Too Young To Retire, Too Old To Rehire

I'll turn 49 next month. And although I hope I'm not part of that group more and more it seems I am. Too high priced. Too much experience (!) when we can hire someone younger and less exoerienced for half the price.

I thought when my position was eliminated I could find employemnent with one of the many vendors I used to do business with.

They're not hiring, either.

And contract work offers come around now and again but, I'm told by Unemployment that, if I take it, there is a good chance that, when the contract runs out, I will not be eligble to restart benefits if there isn't other work immediately because I may be viewed as self employed. How's that for irony.

The very discouraging part for myself and so many of you in the same position is that, even if Repubs and Tea Partiers do take Congress on November 2, it may take years to repair the damage done to this nation. And to our own personal situations. But if they don't, there is little doubt the spiral will continue.

November 2 will be the 14 month anniversary of my being out of work.

How fitting.

CBS/60 Minutes:

9 comments:

revereridesagain said...

These are the people Barack Hussein Obama and his Marxist "comrades" have always wanted to ruin. Long after they knew that their fantasies of workers' revolutions could never be real, they still wanted to destroy productive individuals. I used to think "Atlas Shrugged" was a great Romantic literary metaphor. Now I'm living in the middle of it. Taking back the House next week will at least slow them down a bit. If that doesn't happen, what will stop them? They don't just want to destroy "the rich", or even capitalism, but Western civilization. For some it's "reparations", for most it's just malice.

I escaped to some degree by being able to take social security and retirement one jump ahead of the crash, and by minimizing my living expenses as much as possible, but the recession means that income from my collectibles and crafts work is severely limited. My brother, two years younger, is struggling to keep his own small advertising business alive because s.s. isn't enough to live on. Watching the people in this video I realize I don't really know what is going on behind closed doors in my "upper-class" town, or who is slipping into the food bank downtown once a week.

I hope as many as possible find ways to get around the bastards, fly under their radar and support themselves however they can, and hope we can throw them out before it's too late.

SamenoKami said...

This is tragic and my heart goes out to you and your family.
MR, what do you do (w/o giving too much info)?

Epaminondas said...

HOW MANY OF THESE PEOPLE WILL VOTE (D)?

How many of the R's will GET THE MESSAGE?

What will it take?

I am amazed that one of thee people didn't grab the mike away and shriek at Obama and the Congress, that if enough people lose hope ANYTHING MIGHT HAPPEN around here

Pastorius said...

I have to wonder if you are just one of the people Obama considers "enemies" who ought to sit "in the back of the bus".

midnight rider said...

SamenoKami - Telecom, specifically as it relates to call centers (something getting harder and harder to find in the U.S.). I'm a call center systems tech and administrator.

midnight rider said...

Pastorius -- I dunno. Should I be concerned about the guys in dark suits and shades siting in the black sedan across the street?

Pastorius said...

Actually, MR, my comment was somewhat serious.

Obama has made two problematic statements in the past two days.

He told a group of Hispanics that we "fight against our enemies" when it comes to the illegal immigration issue.

And, he told another group of people that Republicans have to sit at the back of the bus.

Put those two statements together, and what does it sound like?

midnight rider said...

I understand your point. And, by any measure, he would consider me an "enemy" as he would seem to describe or define it.

But then he should realize that by defining me and those like you and I as his "enemies" that, by extension

. . .means he is OUR enemy.

Pastorius said...

Good point.