Sunday, July 07, 2013

Freedom in Egypt? It just gave men the freedom to rape me in Tahrir Square

As violence erupts in Cairo, woman attacked by a gang inaaa demonstration recounts her ordeal

From the Daily Mail:

She saw them running towards her as she approached Cairo’s Tahrir Square and within seconds she was surrounded.  
What followed for Yasmine El-Baramawy was the most terrifying 70 minutes of her life – a prolonged, brutal rape and sexual assault by dozens of men, while a crowd looked on. And did nothing. 
‘I felt hands all over my body, as they tore at my clothes like savage animals and tried to pull down my trousers,’ recalls the 30-year-old musician and composer.
Trauma: Yasmine El Baramawy was subjected to a brutal rape in Cairo's Tahrir Square during the 'Arab Spring' in November 2012
Trauma: Yasmine El Baramawy was subjected to a brutal rape in Cairo's Tahrir Square during the 'Arab Spring' in November 2012

No comments: