'cookieChoices = {};'

It Is Not A Good Idea
To Act As If You Can Not Accomplish
What You Were Elected To Do


Sunday, August 14, 2016

Samia Shahid murder: Ex-husband admits 'honour killing' of British woman in Pakistan


Samia Shahid died while visiting relatives in Pakistan
© Provided by The Independent
Samia Shahid died while visiting relatives in Pakistan

The ex-husband of a British woman who was the victim of an alleged 'honour killing' in Pakistan has admitted strangling her to death, police have said.
Samia Shahid, a 28-year-old beautician from Bradford, died while visiting relatives in her ancestral village in the northern Punjab region of the country.
Her family said she had a heart attack, but her husband Syed Mukhtar Kazam believes she was murdered in a so-called 'honour killing' because the family did not approve of her marriage to him.
Ms Shahid's former husband Choudhry Shakeel was arrested today along with her father on suspicion of murder – and Mr Shakeel has since confessed he drugged and strangled his ex-wife, according to Pakistani newspaper Dawn.
Deputy Inspector General Abubakar Khuda Bakhsh, the investigating officer in the case, told Reuters Mr Shakeel and Ms Shahid's father, Choudhry Shahid, had appeared in court in Pakistan.
“The court has sent them to police custody for physical remand of four days,” Mr Bakhsh said. “Once facts are established, we would be in a better position to say if it is an honour killing or a murder as revenge.”
The case has attracted attention because it came days after the high-profile 'honour killing' of outspoken social media star Qandeel Baloch, dubbed 'the Kim Kardashian of Pakistan'.
Ms Baloch's brother has been arrested in relation to her death.


Bookmark and Share
posted by midnight rider at permanent link#


Anonymous Anonymous said...

U.S., U.N. Stood by While South Sudan Troops Raped, Beat Aid Workers South Sudanese troops ravaged through a hotel complex frequented by foreign aid workers last month while a United Nations force stood by in a neighboring area and the U.S. Embassy did not act despite repeated pleas for help to both.
On July 11, South Sudanese troops, fresh from winning a battle in the capital, Juba, over opposition forces, went on a nearly four-hour rampage through a residential compound popular with foreigners, in one of the worst targeted attacks on aid workers in South Sudan’s three-year civil war. They shot dead a local journalist while forcing the foreigners to watch, raped several foreign women, singled out Americans, beat and robbed people, and carried out mock executions, several witnesses told The Associated Press.

For hours throughout the assault, the U.N. peacekeeping force stationed less than a mile away refused to respond to desperate calls for help. Neither did embassies, including the U.S. Embassy.

Monday, August 15, 2016 7:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Older Posts Newer Posts