Sunday, June 04, 2017

Turin bomb scare sparks stampede, leaving 1,500 injured



From AFP:
Turin (Italy) (AFP) - More than 1,500 people were injured, three seriously, after a bomb scare triggered a stampede among Juventus fans watching the Champions League final in Turin, local authorities said Sunday. 
In an update on Saturday's dramatic events in a square packed with supporters watching the Cardiff match on a giant screen, the local prefecture said 1,527 had been treated for mainly minor injuries. 
Three people were in a serious condition, including a young boy of Chinese origin who was crushed after tripping as he tried to run. "We were buried under bodies," his sister told reporters outside the hospital where he was reported to be in a coma with chest injuries. 

AFP reporters who witnessed the scenes said the panic seemed to have been triggered by fireworks, followed by one or more people shouting that a bomb had exploded -- a notion that quickly filtered through the crowd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...No, you can't go on,
thinking nothing's wrong..."

The Cars.

Always On Watch said...

I can empathize with these people.

Back when I was in college (1970 or 1971), we had a minor stampede because of a bomb scare at the lunch hour. This was during the days of the Vietnam War and Kent State protests.

The alarm was given, and the cafeteria evacuated. As I was climbing the stairs, somebody stepped on my maxi coat, and down I went -- backwards. I fell backwards down several steps -- probably six or seven.

My term paper, due that day, spilled everywhere.

I was stomped on -- and my fingers stomped on, too.

I was lucky that I wasn't seriously injured.

The bomb scare was a false alarm.

I had to submit the term paper with a footprint on it.