Sunday, April 08, 2018

WHISTLEBLOWER: FACEBOOK LISTENS IN ON YOUR CONVERSATIONS AT HOME AND AT WORK

UPDATED and BUMPED by midnight rider:

It's not like we haven't warned about this for several years here now but if you still don't believe it try this (and this is NOT the first time this has happened to me but just the most recent):

Yesterday I had to schedule a windshield replacement for my wife's car.

I did not need to look up the number. I called my insurance company who gave it to me.

So I called the company and scheduled the replacement.

At no time did I use the computer to search for information nor at any time have I ever searched for them on the internet. The only thing I did was dial them on my Android phone and talk to them.

Additionally I don't use the FB app on my phone (just a shortcut to the regular FB page) nor the Google app but only their email app.

When I opened my Facebook for the first time a few hours later the second item that popped in my feed was an ad for that very company. A company I have never seen a FB ad for before.

THEY ARE LISTENING AND WATCHING AND NOT JUST WHAT YOU DO ONLINE. THIS WAS A PRIVATE CONVERSATION.

Right now I am just about ready to smash that fucking smartphone.


From PJM:
Cambridge Analytica whistleblower Christoper Wylie, appearing before a committee of British MPs on Tuesday, said that Facebook has the ability to spy on users in their homes and offices. 
The British parliament is investigating Cambridge Analytica's involvement in the Brexit election. MP Damian Collins, who chaired the committee, asked Wylie whether Facebook has the ability to listen to what people are talking about in order to better target them with ads. 
"There's been various speculation about the fact that Facebook can, through the Facebook app on your smartphone, listen in to what people are talking about and discussing and using that to prioritize the advertising as well," Collins said. "Other people would say, no, they don't think it's possible. It's just that the Facebook system is just so good at predicting what you're interested in that it can guess." He asked for Wylie's thoughts on the possibility. 
"On a comment about using audio and processing audio, you can use it for, my understanding generally of how companies use it... not just Facebook, but generally other apps that pull audio, is for environmental context," Wylie said. "So if, for example, you have a television playing versus if you're in a busy place with a lot of people talking versus a work environment." 
He clarified, "It's not to say they're listening to what you're saying. It's not natural language processing. That would be hard to scale. But to understand the environmental context of where you are to improve the contextual value of the ad itself" is possible. Wylie continued: "There's audio that could be useful just in terms of are you in an office environment, are you outside, are you watching TV?" 
Facebook has long denied allegations that its app listens in on users in order to customize ads.
GO READ THE WHOLE THING.

Even this whistleblower is denying that Facebook is listening to specific words.

But they do.

I have friends and family who work in high-level Executive positions for some of the top Advertising firms in the world.  Trust me, I have had these discussions with them directly.

Facebook and other advertising companies can hear specific words you say, and then they will begin running ads based upon those key words.

THEN THERE'S THIS:



THERE'S A LOT MORE. GO READ THE WHOLE THREAD.

7 comments:

Redneck Texan said...

Thanks to Ublock Origin, I've never seen an add on Facebook ..... or Youtube ..... or this blog (It blocked 53 ads here).

So if their goal is to target me with ads they have failed.

midnight rider said...

I'm going to look into that BUT does it block the listening (which is what I want) or just the ads generated by it?

Redneck Texan said...

Just the ads as far as I know.

Redneck Texan said...

Have you seen THIS Pasto?

Pastorius said...

Wow! That's insane. That law.

I live in an insane state.

Who the fuck is Senator Pan?

Always On Watch said...

Damn.

What a web of snooping!

thelastenglishprince said...

What if bloggers verify facts and MSM generates a lie. Who wins in court? It won't be the little guy.

Or what if a blogger follows the lead of MSM and it is then found that MSM lied? Who takes the blame for it? It won't be the big guy.

It makes attribution and time stamps incredibly important. Unfortunately, MSM changes text on articles without notifying the readership of editorial error.

InfoWars was aptly named.