Saturday, August 15, 2020

Pandemic has driven Americans to depression and drinking, CDC says

WASHINGTON — The coronavirus pandemic has led to a marked deterioration in Americans’ mental health, according to a new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study made public on Thursday. That study, which surveyed 5,412 Americans, found that “40.9% of respondents reported at least one adverse mental or behavioral health condition.” 
According to the new study, 31 percent of respondents were suffering from symptoms of anxiety or depression; 26 percent experienced symptoms of traumatic disorder; 13 percent were using drugs or alcohol more heavily, or for the first time, to cope with the pandemic; and 11 percent had seriously contemplated suicide. 
“Younger adults, racial/ethnic minorities, essential workers, and unpaid adult caregivers reported having experienced disproportionately worse” mental health outcomes than other groups, the study concluded. These findings represented levels of psychological distress higher relative to pre-pandemic levels. 
Anxiety symptoms tripled in incidence compared with the same period in 2019; the incidence of depression symptoms quadrupled. The rate of serious suicidal thoughts doubled in comparison to levels recorded in 2018. 
Significantly, more than 90 percent said they were not being treated for anxiety, depression or posttraumatic stress disorder before the pandemic struck, meaning that their symptoms arrived with the coronavirus and its attendant social disruptions.

GRTWT

4 comments:

revereridesagain said...

I fit every category except the contemplating suicide one. Since the bastards are trying to kill me already I don't see why I should help them along. I'm an old lady but I'm not in a nursing home and do not have WuFlu so they couldn't make any political hay out of me anyway.

Pastorius said...

Personally, I am doing fine, but I can see that other people I know are falling apart.

Always On Watch said...

unpaid adult caregivers

I fall into that category, and the isolation is a downer -- especially for Mr. AOW, whose social life is has been zero since March 10.

My mental outlook was made worse by the passing of my best friend on March 29, by our having to postpone moving, and by what is happening in America (masking, lockdowns, anarchists destroying our cities).

I have not sought treatment because I don't want the words clinical depression to appear in my medical record.

Why have I pretty much pulled out of my depression? I am able to teach students online.

Pastorius said...

I am sorry. But of course, I am glad you are getting to teach.