Sunday, April 02, 2006

Borders Update


As I checked things out at a local Borders Bookstore I discovered a few interesting things. First of all, any statements regarding Free Inquiry magazine must be made by the corporate PR department, which will not be available until for comment until tomorrow. Store employees, even managers are not allowed to comment on matters of this kind, apparently, from what I was told.

However, upon noticing that the Korans in the store were definitely all on the top shelf in their section, I decided to ask more about that issue, which the Manager on Duty was more than willing to speak about. In this particular store, the "Eastern Thought" section, in which the books on Islam are found, are stored on the smaller shelves in the middle of the section. The MOD of the store explained to me that they are stored in Borders stores, as per corporate policy, a certain height off of the ground which is apparently religiously mandated. On the smaller shelves, this means the top. On the larger shelves in certain stores, this can mean whatever this specified height off of the ground is. The copies of the Torah, she demonstrated, were also stored on the top shelf in that section. She explained that there was no religious mandate regarding the Bible, and that since the store stocks so many versions of the Bible they require entire large shelves, and cannot all be on the upper shelves.

Honestly, I had not really believed whole-heartedly in the idea that the Koran shelving was store policy, but I now have been assured that it is. I was told by both the MOD and other employees that it is corporate policy "to respect all religions and their believers" and to therefore never let the Korans be shelved low or ever touch the ground. The Torah is the only other religious text treated similarly. The belief that all religions and views are treated with the utmost respect by Borders as corporate policy, and always has been, was repeated to me several times.

I find this somewhat amusing, as obviously the respect for those of us who want to see Mohammad cartoons is being thrown out the window. I've also found it amusing in a company that proclaims this as policy the intense attention given to the works of Toni Morrison, who has made numerous racist statements regarding white people that I find offensive, yet her works are frequently featured on their own tables and displays at both Borders and Barnes & Noble. I intend to cross-check these policies with those of Barnes & Noble, as well as to hopefully get actual statements from the two PR representatives I was told to contact, who will return to work tomorrow. I'll get the full scoop on this issue, it just may take a day or two.

8 comments:

Kiddo said...

One funny side note on the shelving, note that "The Koran for Dummies" is in fact on the top shelf, while Ibn Warraq's Leaving Islam is more prominently displayed below, on the shelf with "Islam for Dummies". I thought it mildly humorous.

Always On Watch said...

I had heard rumors about top-shelving the Koran. So it's true?

"The Koran for Dummies" is up there as well? That's funny.

Pastorius said...

Here's a good Infidel protest:

When you are in a Borders, move all the available Korans to the Gay & Lesbian Studies Section.

Pass it on.

Kiddo said...

AOW, yeah, I took that picture today, and I took it of the books exactly as shelved. And yep, The Koran for Dummies is on the top shelf with the Korans. I was giggling a bit there. But I couldn't move anything around or cause trouble, because I was interviewing the managers there. But yes, everything I wrote above is what I was told at the store. The Koran (and Torah too) shelving above a certain height is for real. Either that or the managers/employees I spoke to in person and on the phone at another store are lying about store policy, and that just wouldn't make sense. So it's true after all.

Oscar in Kansas said...

Did you go to the Borders on Metcalf or the one near the Sprint campus?

Pastorius said...

The one near the Sprint Campus? I've been there.

Don't know why I feel the need to say that.

Kiddo said...

Wraith, 119th/ Metcalf. Sprint campus. Never thought of it that way. Now that I do, I could've gone just a bit further to get to the Barnes & Noble.

Kiddo said...

Barnes & Noble hasn't caved. I'm expecting a call back from their corporate. Will update.