Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Oops

Question: Are you absolutely convinced that the North Koreans are going to honour this agreement, that while talks are going on that it's not just a matter of buying time on the part of the North Koreans, that they will not secretly pursue the nuclear program they were pushing earlier?

Jimmy Carter: I'm convinced. But I said this when I got back from North Korea, and people said that I was naive or gullible and so forth. I don't think I was. In my opinion, this was one of those perfect agreements where both sides won. We should not ever avoid direct talks, direct conversations, direct discussions and negotiations with the main person in a despised or misunderstood or condemned society who can actually resolve the issue.
Nobel laureate and ex-envoy Jimmy Carter, on CNN (after his dealings with dictator Kim Il-sung) on June 22, 1994

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why, oh why, can't he just shut up and grow nuts (i'm referring to BOTH kinds).

There is nothing more tragic and insulting than hearing idiotic and constant drivel about why things should be the way HE wants it to be from a president that was a total failure, and did abolustely nothing for America.

I'm putting Carter back on my hate list.

Epaminondas said...

yeah but he builds a mean house

mts said...

This guy spent 25+ years trying to build a legacy, I guess to get people to forget the crappy one that he built in FOUR. It wasn't bad enough that he had to screw up against the Ayatollah and the USSR. Now he had to produce this North Korean gem.

It looks like Clinton is doing the same thing by keeping his big nose in the nation's business long after his time had passed, to build himself a legacy so "history" remembers him well. Why can't Democrat presidents do what Republican ones do? Build a good legacy while in office, then retire and spend all day boring the relatives with success stories?