Monday, February 04, 2008

Whitehall to Whitewash Islamic Extremism and the Jihad

Photobucket
Banner of Jihad courtesy of Google Images

THE GUARDIAN: Phrasebook designed to avoid blaming Muslims for extremism

A new counter-terrorism phrasebook has been drawn up within Whitehall to advise civil servants on how to talk to Muslim communities about the nature of the terror threat without implying they are specifically to blame.

Reflecting the government's decision to abandon the "aggressive rhetoric" of the so-called war on terror, the guide tells civil servants not to use terms such as Islamist extremism or jihadi-fundamentalist but instead to refer to violent extremism and criminal murderers or thugs to avoid any implication that there is an explicit link between Islam and terrorism.

It warns those engaged in counter-terrorist work that talk of a struggle for values or a battle of ideas is often heard as a "confrontation/clash between civilisations/cultures". Instead it suggests that talking about the idea of shared values works much more effectively. Whitehall draws up new rules on language of terror >>> By Alan Travis, home affairs editor

Mark Alexander (Paperback)
Mark Alexander (Hardback)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SJS gets even more sudden:

"Recent research has shown the time it takes for an individual to show an initial interest in fundamentalism to actively taking part in an attack is reducing all the time.

Several years ago, experts figured that period may be up to 18 months but now with perceived threats to Muslims being featured virtually daily on our television screens, that timescale is down to just a few weeks.

In his first interview since the attacks on Glasgow Airport in June, Corrigan, who is also assistant chief constable of Strathclye Police, said: "There were some benchmarks up until 9/11 but, recently, it would be possible to find someone willing to involve themselves in a terrorist act in a much shorter timescale. That makes the challenge facing policing a bit more acute."

Corrigan said it was impossible to state with any conviction how many suspects were active in Scotland at any time.

He added: "I cannot quantify how many suspects we have in Scotland.

There is simply no way, short of getting access to the detailed plans of those who want to do harm to the UK, of telling how many individuals there are in this position.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/latestnews/Terror-czar-warns-of-changing.3739086.jp

Anonymous said...

Churchill's parrot has expertly defined that subtle line between attempting to preserve one's own invaluable culture, and simple racism -- a line which our Muslim and Marxist enemies are keen to obscure.


http://churchillsparrot.blogspot.com/2008/02/anglosphere-to-thy-own-self-be-true.html

Anonymous said...

Talk of shared values works better?

What values do we share with Islam?

Certainly, I don't believe I own my daughter or my wife. I will not be deciding for my daughter who to marry, whether to go to college, whether to drive. I won't ask my daughter or my wife to wear the Hijab. I will not instruct my sons that Jihad is the way to God. I do not think that only Christians are my brothers. In my religion, I am called to help people whether they are Christian or not. I am not called to deceive others in the promotion of my faith. I am not called on to stay away from unbelievers. It is not a tenet of my religion that people ought be stoned to death if they are gay, or if they decide they aren't followers of Christ any longer.

What values do I share with Islam?

I don't see anything. Help me out here.

Pastorius

Mark said...

Pastorius:

Rest assured, you share no values with Islam. Your values and a practising Muslim's are like chalk and cheese.