Friday, July 24, 2009

Gov Rick Perry Says Texas May Refuse Obamacare


From the Stogmeister and the Star Telegram:

AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry, raising the specter of a showdown with the Obama administration, suggested Thursday that he would consider invoking states’ rights protections under the 10th Amendment to resist the president’s healthcare plan, which he said would be "disastrous" for Texas.

Interviewed by conservative talk show host Mark Davis of Dallas’ WBAP/820 AM, Perry said his first hope is that Congress will defeat the plan, which both Perry and Davis described as "Obama Care." But should it pass, Perry predicted that Texas and a "number" of states might resist the federal health mandate.

"I think you’ll hear states and governors standing up and saying 'no’ to this type of encroachment on the states with their healthcare," Perry said. "So my hope is that we never have to have that stand-up. But I’m certainly willing and ready for the fight if this administration continues to try to force their very expansive government philosophy down our collective throats."


8 comments:

midnight rider said...

If at first you don't succeed,
And you find you can't proceed
When the whole bloody crew
Doesn't know what to do
Well then, brother, it's time to secede.

-- my pop

Carlos Echevarria said...

Thanks for posting Pastorius, I really like Rick Perry, so much so that i want to move to Texas....esp. since we are probably going to get Alex Sink as gov next year.

Any wonder why Texas is the state with the highest GDP and economic indicators????

Seems like the Bushies, though, are coalescing with DC Kay "Bailout" Hutcheson

Anonymous said...

Perry's lips to God's ears.

I like your Pop's little ditty, MR.
Perfect for a rally poster, by the way.


Ro

Pastorius said...

If Perry isn't careful, he's going to end up President of an entire nation, whether that be the USA or Texas.

Anonymous said...

OK, now from Pasto's lips to God's ears. Guess I need to expand my prayer time. . .

Ro

Pastorius said...

Ro,
I don't remember if you've ever said; are you from Texas?

I'm from California, which means I'm going down with the sinking ship.

We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation now.

Here's a well-kept secret though. Many, and I mean MANY of the illegal aliens have left.

A freeway drive that used to take 1 1/2 hours now takes 45-60 minutes.

Almost half the time. Obviously, not all of that is attributable to the unemployment rate. And, you know, you just notice that you don't encounter as many men in old trucks with cows on the side of them, people who can't speak any English.

Funny thing is, NO ONE talks about it.

midnight rider said...

Ro -- Use it in good health. He wouldn't have minded. Were he still here he'd be LEADING the charge to oust the current set of clowns.

I'd vote for Perry.

Anonymous said...

I live in Texas; originally from Illinois.

I will take Texas summers over Chicago winters any day!

I like Texas a lot. I like Perry, too (much better than Kay Bailey), but I am not sure he has much pull with the legislature here.

Now, one thing good about Texas is that the legislature meets only every other year.

That might be a good idea for the US Congress! Ha!!

Ro