Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Mystic Knights of The Sacred Order Of Oingo Boingo

Found this over at Discarded Lies. Surprised to see that someone remembered the original name of the great 80's band Oingo Boingo.

Anyone, enough of the 70's decadence. Let's move on to the 80's today (just for shits and giggles). Andre79 ought to love this).

This was recorded live at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go (my old stomping grounds) in Los Angeles in 1980. As I recall it, these were the days before "Punk" and "New Wave" were officially delineated as separate. Hence, you see "normal" looking people and Punks engaging in "Punk" behavior together.

Those were the innocent and fun early days of the scene. And, Ain't This The Life?


4 comments:

BabbaZee said...

I love Oingo Boingo

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Oingo_Boingo_Grey_Matter_mp3/3064465

andre79 said...

Thanks, Pasto :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWlg36jV48

Pastorius said...

Heh. Babba, Grey Matter is one of my fav Oingo Boingo songs. In fact, right now it is the only one I have on my iPod.

Pastorius said...

Andre,
You know what's funny? I've NEVER heard that song, and I don't know if I've ever heard the Specials, though I may have heard them over the sound system at a club at one time or another.

Thing is, between 1976-1983, I watched no TV, read no magazines, listened to no radio stations, read no newspapers, consumed no mass media of any kind.

Hence, the only music that ever came to my attention (other than Jaco and Coltrane and and The Art Ensemble of Chicago and the various Avant Guard jazz musicians I listened to) was music my friends turned me onto. Most of that was local LA/OC punk music. However, we also listened to a lot of Talking Heads.

But, I have an almost absolute gap in my popular culture memory 76-83.