Friday, April 16, 2010

Quote Of The Day

Mustang of Social Sense left the following spot-on comment to this post I did a while back:

The fact is no elected official gives a damn. Hare is not at all unusual; one only needs to observe Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Hairy Reid, or any number of other ‘servants of the people’ to see that members of Congress, of either party, intend to do as they please. Why? Because they count on the fact that Americans have short memories. It was important for Obama/Congress to pass the health care fiasco in March because these legislators realize most voters will forget by the time November arrives. I can prove this, too … how many Americans who vote recall that under this present government, President Obama seized and nationalized the banking industry, the car manufacturing and marketing industry, and the home loan industry?

Honestly, I don’t know what disgusts me more … this Congress, the White House, or the people who elected them.


I couldn't agree more with my good friend Mustang.

Many conservatives are pinning their hopes on the electorate to vote out the current administration in 2010 and 2012. But how long is the memory of the electorate? Not very, in my view. Americans have a way, a sort of optimism, of going to bed at night and expecting to wake up to a better tomorrow. This optimism, a form of apathy, is what got us into this present political mess in the first place.

3 comments:

cjk said...

My take is that God gives us the government that we deserve. Therefore the fault lies with the people themselves.
However, just as there are still many decent people left in this country, there are still many honest and true public servants in the Congress.
It is very evil to lump the good with the bad.

Pastorius said...

I agree with Mustang, though I would say this is the result of optimism mixed with a lack of knowledge of history.

cjk said...

I don't see that optimism. Most of the people who voted for Obama voted for him because they weren't optimistic of where the country was then heading.

I see ignorance, apathy, stupidity, and short-sighted self-centeredness.

Over the last decade most of my conservative friends are more and more pessimistic.