Sunday, June 06, 2010

Remembering D-Day: June 6, 1944

Two of my cousins from Tennessee, neither of them having yet reached the age of twenty-one, were on the beach on D-Day.

Both came home physically whole but never the same in their souls. What they had seen and experienced in that battle scarred them forever.

But I never saw nor met two others as patriotic as my two cousins. They remained staunch patriots for the rest of their lives.

They never spoke one word about what happened on that beach. Neither did they sleep through another night again without nightmares and calling out in their sleep. And they never uttered one word of complaint about having served our nation, nor did they want any special recognition.

Would that all Americans today had the same humble determination to preserve freedom and the same willingness to fight for the noble cause of preserving that freedom!

1 comment:

American Rose said...

Ahem. I regret that I have but one life to give my country. Call me!