Saturday, December 03, 2011

They spent all their time reading comics like X-Men without knowing the creators were Jewish?

Sometimes the stuff said on a message board can provide something to ponder. Here's a little something from the leftist British showbiz site Bleeding Cool, where posted some more items from the X-Men story where some Marvel heroines like Kitty Pryde raid the fictionalized version of Iran and Ahmedinejad's regime. They were one of the few sites that said anything about the following issue, and considering where a British site like this could skew towards, a little odd they might suggest they're willing to be favorable towards this.

But now, let's turn to the really sad part here, that being the commentors on their forum who replied to this subject. For example, one person said:
I cannot wait until Sooraya (Dust) rescues some Palestinian mutants from the hands of the IDF. Wait... that would never happen because Israel is a good country, correct?
The above panel is disgusting. It's exactly the sort of commentary that a comic book, with its manichean morality, doesn't have the authority to comment on.
And another said:
"DO YOU THINK THIS X ON MY BELT STANDS FOR THE X CHROMOSOME THAT I HAVE IN A MATCHED PAIR?!"

(Silliness aside, I can take this sort of nonsense in comics about as seriously as I can take Ultimate Captain Jingoism^America's political statements, which is to say not at all)
And then there's this one:
Is Kitty nuts? She may start wwiii.

Mel Gibson's right. Mutant Jews start all the wars. Nice job, sugartits.
Gee, such language. I'm sure not all of those who've got negative sentiments like what the above imply are British, but they sure are degrading. One can only wonder what they'd say if there was ever a character in these books of Armenian descent.

And for anyone that lugubrious, we've got some most excruciatingly bad news for them: didn't they know that Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Joe Simon, and quite a few other contributors to US comics like these were Jewish? Even Chris Claremont, to my knowledge, may have some Jewish ancestry, though he's certainly one of the kind of British natives who could have French ancestry. My point is: if they have such negative sentiments towards Israel/Jews and even Americans, for that matter, why would they even bother to read their stuff? If I were in their position, I don't think I'd be in such a hurry to read something made by the very people whom those shady characters seem to despise.

But, if the above is any suggestion, we'll probably be seeing some of these creepy people making an exodus from the readership of Jewish-created American comics soon, if they haven't done so already. And if these are bad Brits making those dismal cracks, we can probably figure they'll turn their money back towards buying Judge Dredd, the comic whose main achievement seems to be depicting the USA as a quasi-totalitarian regime. Simply put, if they don't like Jews/Israel/America, they shouldn't bother about their creations and products, and that could even include a computer brand called Pentium.

Life is full of mysteries, and that could even include why anyone in the UK would care to attack Rupert Murdoch after all the time he's been cozy with Saudi prince Alwaleed bin Talal, now that I think of the subject. Speaking of which, Diana West has some info on Khaled, the brother of the prince, who said something very obscene - offering money to kidnap Israeli soldiers - that likely won't be published by FOX and NewsCorp because Murdoch wouldn't want to strain relations with the oh-so important prince. You know some British who don't like Murdoch are going to come away feeling stunned by that information.

2 comments:

Epaminondas said...

And I am sure their favorite comedians.....

Rich Johnston said...

Excuse me, what?

I'm the author of Bleeding Cool.

I don't back comments on the site, whatever they are, but I do enjoy free frank discussion. The majority of commentators on BC are American.

I wrote the comic book Watchmensch, a look at the origins of the modern superhero comic, using the language of Watchmen, and reflecting the Jewish origins of the form.

You seem to conflate Israel and Jewishness though and I think it's fair, whatever your political persuasion, to see one as a ethnic/relgious identity and the other as a state, albeit it one made up of the former. I would never confuse those in America who claim an Irish or an Italian identity with those countries in question, no matter how much loyalty to those countries they show. People are people, countries are countries. One can criticise a state without criticising its people.

And the "sugartits" line, the guy is suggesting the exact opposite of what you are saying he's suggesting. He's being sarcastic.

Personally? I am a great admirer of the Jewish faith, many of its people and the influence they have had on Western culture, and incredibly intolerent of prejudice against them. I am not Jewish, but much of the comedy drama, and indeed comics I read come from a Jewish origin.

I am criticial of certain Israeli policies, but certainly defend its right, nay it's need to exist and I can see actions I disapprove of as the result of overreaction to very real dangers. I think those actions could exacerbate those dangers sadly, it all becomes rather Catch 22.

And as for America, I am a big fan and visit there around three times a year. I am employed by an American publisher to write Bleeding Cool and, again, much of the culture I enjoy is American as well as Jewish. The Daily Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm being two favourites.

Oh and I'm also the cartoonist for the right wing libertarian pro Israeli blog Guido Fawkes.

I think you need to read Bleeding Cool again. And not to believe that commentators reflect the view of the site. And also that some commentators argue the opposite side with beligerence as sarcasm. Unless you are the type of people who believe that Stephen Colbert is serious...