Sunday, September 02, 2012

Never Forget

Do we have any parents in the audience?



'





'



'

'



Hug your babies tight tonight.

And every night.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race [is] not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so [are] the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.
-- Ecclesiastes 9:11,12 --



6 comments:

JC said...

I'm certain that you mean: "Objective considerations of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion that success or failure in competitive activities exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity, but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must invariably be taken into account."
Didn't Orwell just hit that nail right on the head?

midnight rider said...

Nope, I said what I meant and meant what I said.

And I prefer the original to the "modern translation"

and so did Orwell

Anonymous said...

Damn, this page is rightous today. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I wish you could still click on the title and get just that story. I want to send this to someone, but want to just send this story, rather than your website url. I remember that you used to be able to click on the title and get the page to that story alone? It wasn't that way?

midnight rider said...

Click on the time stamp (12:32:00 a.m.) in the lower left corner for just this post.

midnight rider said...

Doing that will work for any post at IBA, clicking the time stamp will bring you to just that post.