Saturday, March 28, 2020

Dana White is Hellbent on Staging UFC 249 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic


UFC president Dana White understands that he infuriates and scares some people by just saying he is trying to stage a major fight night on April 18. 
He understands that some, maybe even the majority, think he should just sit in his Las Vegas mansion and wait this out. He gets that some, maybe even the majority, believe that staging a mixed martial arts card, even one with no fans in attendance and under, as he promises, the strictest possible safety measures, is an absurd and insulting act during a global pandemic.
“Listen,” White told Yahoo Sports this week, “there’s people I care about what they think of me — my employees, my family, my friends. The rest of the people I don’t give a [expletive] what you think of me.”
That’s Dana White. Brash. Profane. Successful. Aggressive. Unapologetic. Detest him if you want. Love him if you want. He isn’t changing. He just isn’t changing. 
To his world view, if he cared what others thought, he never would have built the once-fledgling UFC into a $4 billion global enterprise.
This is why he is about the only sports executive out boldly and publicly promising that he will get back to business, at least for one night, as soon as the middle of April. 
He does not lack confidence. 
“One thing I do know is I'm not wrong,” White said. “I know I'm right. I know it's the right thing to do.”
Here are the basics. White wants UFC 249 to happen on April 18, headlined by the highly anticipated lightweight title fight between champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson. It will be staged with no fans in a mostly empty sound stage or arena … somewhere. 
Perhaps in Florida. Perhaps in the Middle East. Somewhere. White isn’t yet saying.
He says he can run an entire card with less than 100 people, including fighters, team members, production crew, refs, doctors and stage hands. He’d prefer a full 12-fight card, but acknowledges it may be fewer than that. It’s complicated.
He won’t divulge details, but one UFC fighter expected to be on the card, Francis Ngannou, has confirmed that he is already being tested for coronavirus, suggesting that this will be done to everyone associated, both pre and post fight. Here’s hoping that’s true.
White is adamant in his belief he can do this with no risk to anyone. 
Is he right? He better be.
White’s bombast (even if he, and many others, believe it) can distract from his central message. 
“I promise you this,” the 50-year-old said, as an example. “I am going to die someday. I don’t know how. I don’t know from what. But if it's the coronavirus then what am I going to do? Let’s do it. Come on coronavirus.”
That’s a risk he's willing to take. What if his decisions impact others who aren't?
“How long are we going to hide?” he counters. “Are we going to hide for months? Are we going to shut down the whole world for months? It’s crazy.”
That’s White. He tends to say the quiet parts out loud.
GO READ THE WHOLE THING.

No comments: