Sunday, August 20, 2006

Taking The Town Square Test In Britain: What Happens When A Young Lady Wears An Israeli Flag For A Cape?

A young woman takes the Town Square Test in Britain. Check it out:


First Post, July 21st:

I was in town today and bought an Israeli flag — about five feet long. While I was walking to the bus, I decided to wear it as a cape (mostly to show my support, partly to see if I'd get any reactions). My head was a good couple of inches higher than usual, and whenever I noticed it in a reflection on a window, I smiled broadly.

There was a shout by someone a while behind me. “Yisrael! Yisrael!” I turned around and saw a woman. She shouted to me — presumably in Hebrew — and stuck her thumb up. I grinned and stuck my thumb up high, before continuing on my way.

A few of my friends said it might be dangerous to wear it in public. So naturally, I decided that I must go back into town some time wearing it. This is England, after all. A free country. Who's going to attack a 17-year-old girl for wearing a flag?

Second post, July 29th:

I went to town yesterday to pick up a friend from the train station. I wore my Israeli flag as a cape again. At one point, two girls stopped me and asked if I was from Israel. I replied “No, and I'm not Jewish either, but I do support Israel.” They said they were from Israel. I asked them why they were here, and they said because of the war. They seemed to be happy about the flag. I walked away smiling, glad to make them feel welcome in England.

Later on that day, someone I passed called out “Shalom!” I turned around and started talking to this guy. As far as I could gather, he used to be a medic in Israel for the army. He shook my hand, said something in Hebrew, and I think he prayed or something like that. So far I had had only good reactions, which was rather cool.

Today, however, was something different. I was at the train station to pick up another friend, when some guy approached us and asked why I was wearing the flag. I said that I support Israel. He said something to the effect that I had “better take it off”. I shrugged this off and we went on our way.


About five minutes later, he approached us again and said “What did I tell you?” I looked a bit confused. “Take it off,” he demanded. He kept looking at me, so I took it off so he'd stop (he was rather intimidating). When my other friend arrived and we left the station, I put the flag back on and we went back into the centre of town.

After stopping for some food, we went to our bus stop. By this time, it was around 7:10pm, but still broad daylight (being summer). I was alarmed to find the same guy approaching me again. He stopped in front of me and said “What did I tell you? Take it off. If I see you again with it I'll hurt you.”

Now that wasn't pleasant. I wasn't all that scared at the time, though it was annoying that I had to take the cape off. But now I'm a bit scared of going into town while wearing it, in case he might be there.

Third post, August 10th:

I went into town again today with my sister, my friend, and my Israeli flag-cape. We were walking down a busy street when I saw the same guy from before. “Shit,” I thought, and we quickly walked past. He shouted behind us “Take it off! Take it off!” Somewhat worried, I discreetly took off my flag (replacing it by an American flag).

We kept walking and I put the Israeli flag back on. The guy saw me again and shouted “Take it off! I'm coming for you!” Another guy was with him this time. We kept walking, turned a corner and ducked into a cafe, where my friend phoned the police. We kept looking out round the cafe door. Both guys were waiting on the other side of the street, watching for us to come out. At some point while we were talking to the police, they left.

We decided to go home. Shortly afterwards we were phoned by the police. They're coming later today to get a statement.


I suspect that the guy who told her to "take it off" was either "Asian" or a "youth." I don't want to stereotype anyone, so I will refrain from guessing which.

3 comments:

Epaminondas said...

Those pesky south asians !

She should have worn the flag of the secret 43rd protocol of zion instead

Pastorius said...

Careful about stereotyping, Epa. Could have been a "youth" instead of an "Asian." One never knows.

And, by the way, this girl was not Jewish, so there is no way she could have possibly known about the secret 43rd protocol. Not like all of us Zionists here. In fact, Infidel Bloggers Alliance is the 44th protocol in action.

Kiddo said...

Yeah, never stereotype. Someone might have to hold an "Ethnic Enrichment" festival. As I said in my video, we ethnic folks need more enrichment.

Wow, that's one thing to have people harass you online, but pretty different in person....two days in a row. I'm still sporting my temporary Israeli flag tattoo on my arm. No one has commented at all. But I did spend a over a week with my computer OFF. Can you imagine?

Now will I be watching horrific things on the news on the 22nd, or the complete 2nd season of House on DVD? Mahmoodypants, it's your call.....