Thursday, March 06, 2008

A cartoonist's own words

Kurt Westergaard, the exploding turban of Mo cartoonist from Jyllandsposten has made another drawing trying to explain his feelings concerning terrorism and the attempt on his life.


In Kurt Westergaard's own words: "It is me on the right. My head is about to explode of anger concerning the insult to my person. At the same time I am angry about the actions of terror in New York, Madrid and London. I had a special personal relation to New York. I loved to sit in the wonderful bookstore, Borders, in the World Trade Center. To the left I have added the old drawing of Mohammad, because it started it all. The hare symbolizes my own personal courage, which is not that big. It is the part of me, which maybe prefers to get away, and that cannot control everything."
With the recent capture of a group planning to kill him, his forced hiding, his wife's near expulsion from the kinder garden (she was sent away a few days), where she works - I can understand the worry about courage.

I for one think him very brave - the hare should be a tiger - and I applaud and thank him for his fantastic original drawing.

4 comments:

Always On Watch said...

Obit for one of the cartoonists, who recently passed away of natural causes.

Pastorius said...

He will be remembered in history as an important figure and a brave man.

The reason I talk about how he will be remembered in history is because I believe many of us have to stand back and take a larger perspective on what we do. It is easy to be terrified if we are thinking of our own small lives. But, if we keep in mind that we do what we do for a reason larger than ourselves, it might be easier to be brave.

Anonymous said...

I bow down to the courage of this man.

People need to know that no one decides for them and the quality of their life should never be decided by others, who "know it all".

At the same time, the non-moderates should get over it, times are changing, people are changing and with this kind of precedents - i hope - things will go even further, not in a insulting way (nobody needs more of that), but in a more rational way.

Liam.

The Angel Who Sprinled Her Stardust said...

I salute the man who drew the cartoon and i salute this blogger. What you wrote about Egypt's redemption and what the Pope said about allah is so true.
btw check out this blog i chanced upon earlier on. I was so pissed off that i wrote a complaint to the support people at Wordpress. It's a bloody fucking terrorism epidemic.
http://muslimmartyrs.wordpress.com/