Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Like Johnny and June

When June Carter Cash died his fans knew Johnny would soon follow. The bond between them was too intense. He, too, was gone within four months.

Johnny Cash has always been one of my favorites. One of my first cassettes at 8 or 9 was a Johnny Cash one my mom gave me. I still have it down there, somewhere, along with the BB King one she gave me at the same time.

My daughters have all inherited my love of music and like almost all the same stuff I do, often singing along. Which can lead to interesting moments.

When Daughter #3 (the 10 yr old) was 7 or 8 I came home from work one day walked in the door singing Folsom Prison Blues "When I was just a young boy, my mama told me son, always be a good boy don't ever play with guns. . ." and before I could get the next line out a sweet little 7 yr old voice was singing "But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die".

I thought her mom would faint.

So a double shot from The Man In Black tonight.

First, from his 1999 Tribute Concert (he wasn't expected to attend) the aforementioned



Folsom Prison Blues



And Johnny and June together

Jackson

Every Man Knows He's A Sissy Compared To

Johnny Cash

-- Bono
boom chicka boom chicka boom chicka boom boom
boom chicka boom chicka boom chicka boom boom

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta give Bono credit, when he's right he's right...

Christine said...

From the moment I popped out, I was fed Johnny Cash. Bet I know every word, to every single one of his songs. Caught him on public tv long so long ago. It was a very good show.

Anonymous said...

Basilisk is my favorite anime, this is the ending theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0QSvLMGgok

more here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxBCYkOr4to

Anonymous said...

Now this is pure trivia

It was in late early 70 I moved to Sweden, so I began to listen to a lot ofother music, not just the UK/USA releases.

boom chicka boom chicka boom chicka boom boom
boom chicka boom chicka boom chicka boom boom

Now this reminds me of a great kids music Lp, and not the 1995 album Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Other Coconutty Songs by Bill Martin, Jr, but the original KÅLDOLMAR & KALSIPPER by NATIONALTEATERN a great Swedish who released it in 1976

He is the lyrics to Ylle which contains

boom chicka boom (bom sickabom)


jag är ett litet ylle
bom sickabom sickabombombom
Med världens minsta nylle
bom sickabom sickabombombom
jag leker I min yllegrop
och yllar glada yllerop
ylle ylle ylle på er yllihop

Jag är så yllans liten
bom sickabom sickabombombom
fast inte I apiten
bom sickabom sickabombombom
jag käkar en massa yllegarn
och ett och annat ylleflarn
ylle ylle ylle på er yllebarn

jag bor här mitt på bystan
bom sickabom sickabombombom
bland alla ylle nystan
bom sickabom sickabombombom
har kryllar det av kryllingar
och alla deras bryllingar
ylle ylle ylle på er yllingar

nu kryper jag I sängen
bom sickabom sickabombombom
pä mjuka ylle ängen
bom sickabom sickabombombom
en sömning ylle krumelur
bör ofta ta en yllelur
ylle ylle ylle på er ylledjur

midnight rider said...

You wouldn't happen to have a translation of that for us poor monolingual Americans would you, Shiva?

Anonymous said...

It is difficult as it is children s talk, and doesn't make much sense, as there is a lot of play with words, which only works in Swedish.

It is one of those tune that stick, much like Puff The Magic Dragon

midnight rider said...

Yeah, I figured. I just do not have a gift for languages though I have tried through the years. A bit of Polish from my grandmom is the best I can do.

Just giving you a good natured hard time :)