Saturday, March 07, 2009

Melanie Phillips: Dangerous new alliance between jihadists and anti-Israel Christians

From Jihad Watch:

A new unholy alliance. "Beware the new axis of evangelicals and Islamists," by Melanie Phillips in The Spectator, March 4:

Last weekend the Revd Stephen Sizer, vicar of Christ Church, Virginia Water appeared at an anti-Israel meeting with an Islamist called Ismail Patel. Patel has not only accused Israel of ‘genocide’ and ‘war crimes’ but considers Disney to be a Jewish plot and supports Hamas, Iran and Syria.

Sizer is a virulent opponent of Christian Zionism and of Israel, which he has said he hopes will disappear just as did the apartheid regime in South Africa. He has also applauded Iranian President Ahmadinejad for having ‘looked forward to the day when Zionism ceased to exist’. Nevertheless, the appearance of an Anglican churchman on a pro-Islamist platform in Britain is a new and significant development. 

The Church of England recently banned its clergy from joining the BNP; should it not equally ban them from siding with the forces of Islamofascism?

Sizer’s participation, however, must be seen in the context of a disturbing realignment in the services of the forces of darkness against the free world: the emergence of an axis between a body of evangelicals, the hard left, the Islamists — and the far right.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Newsflash: "Christians" who aren't Zionists are just lapsed Mohammedans. Most of them don't care about Christians, either, since they support Hamas, which is also actively committing genocide against Christians, granted they're Islamochristian Sirhan Sirhans/Edward Saids/Rashidis.

Michael Travis said...

Sadly, this is nothing new. Replacement Theology and pragmatic "outreach to Islam" programmes are the wave of the future.

Pastorius said...

Well put, Jdamn.

And Michael, I think you are right. This is the wave of the future. And, this is only the swell on the horizon. The wave has not even begun to build yet.

Anonymous said...

Ick. Does "evangelical" mean ANYTHING anymore???

I know who the Islamists and the leftists are - who is the "far right" in this context?? Does the BNP support Islamists? Do they want Israel destroyed? Who are the "evangelicals" who want to "outreach" to Muslims without trying to convert them to Christianity?

Anglicans I know are not often "evangelical" (which, in my understanding, is someone who believes in the completed work of Christ on the cross for salvation, and believes Christians have an obligation to tell others about that completed work, and who also believes the historical doctrines of the Church as set forth in the Nicean creed.)

Spong is a pagan, for instance, and I think the current Archbishop actually called himself a Druid at one point - so I kinda wonder if these "evangelicals" are even Christians in any sense other than liturgical.

Oddly enough, even though I grew up Roman Catholic, I was always taught that the Jews were the chosen people, and that we owed the Jews for the Bible, for ethics, etc., etc.


I was also taught that anti-Semitism was a sin. No ethnic jokes in our house!!

Now, I actually attend an "evangelical" Episcopal church in the US; our Bible study materials (we are doing Genesis)are very clear - Israel / the Jews ARE God's chosen people and He has not yet accomplished his purposes in and through Israel. And those who "curse" Israel do so at their own peril!

So, although I am more "liturgical" than many Christians, I think I am more legitimately "evangelical." I believe Israel validly exists as a nation due to its establishment after WWII.

So, my theology says to "bless Israel", but even if I were an atheist, I would support Israel because, damnit, it was validly established!! I am getting soo freaking sick of this crap.

So, am I a Christian Zionist or just a Zionist? I dunno, and it is making my head hurt.

I am sorry, but sometimes I just wish God would just show Himself strong and smush these idiots.

Personal aside - I was reading Psalm 83 (NASB) today - which discusses the enemies of Israel and how they have made plans against Israel and - bear with me -

verses 15-18 So pursue them with Thy tempest, and terrify them with Thy storm. Fill their faces with dishonor, That they may seek They name, O Lord. Let them be ashamed and dismayed forever; And let them be humiliated and perish. That they may know that Thou alone, whose name is the Lord, Art the Most High over all the earth.

Amen.

Ro

Pastorius said...

Amen, Ro.

For some reason, I also read that Psalm the other day. Coincidence?

Anonymous said...

Nope. I no longer believe in coincidences, Pastorius.

I realized today how much I love Psalms. I think that is my next intensive study.

I was gonna do Isaiah, but I just got done with a study of Amos and a few other of the "minor" prohets and I need a little break.

Have a great weekend.

Ro

Anonymous said...

With one or two honorable exceptions such as Michael Nazir Ali, the leadership of the CofE is totally unfit for purpose.