Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pope: We Should Have Googled Williamson

Yeah, maybe, huh?


(CNN) -- The pope has admitted making mistakes over the lifting of the excommunication of a Holocaust-denying bishop, saying the church will make much greater use of the Internet in the future to help avoid such controversies.

In a letter to church leaders, Pope Benedict XVI says the church should have been aware of the views of Bishop Richard Williamson.

"I have been told that consulting the information available on the Internet would have made it possible to perceive the problem early on.

"I have learned the lesson that in the future the Holy See will have to pay greater attention to that source of news."

Before the pope's decision, Williamson said in an interview with Swedish television that he did not believe that Nazi leader Adolf Hitler deliberately set out to murder Jews or that there were gas chambers at the Auschwitz death camp.

The church said Benedict was not aware of Williamson's views on the Holocaust when the excommunication was lifted even though it was widely available on the Internet, and ordered Williamson to recant.



I don't think I'm telling tales out of school when I point out that the Pope is really, really old.

8 comments:

Rebellious Kafir said...

But at least he is a man capable of admitting when he screws up.

Pastorius said...

I love the Pope. He's a great man, and yes, his ability to admit a mistake adds to his greatness.

I don't mean to be disrespectful for pointing out that he is old. I'm just saying, you know, most people over 65 just aren't that quick with computers.

Anonymous said...

It would certainly be an improvement if the Pope and the Vatican were on the same page though . . .recent reports indicate they are polar opposites:

Pope says one thing:
Vatican Says Islamic Finance May Help Western Banks in Crisis

vs.

While the Vatican says another:
Pope Benedict to Muslims: True religion is rational, peaceful, and non-totalitarian

Pastorius said...

Anonymous,
In another recent post, I noted the contradictory statements coming out of the with regard to Islam, and wondered whether the Pope might end up having poison slipped into his Communion Wine.

Anonymous said...

Pope let down by advisers, claims bishop

You may be on to something Pastorius.

Pastorius said...

Malevolent malfeasance.

Rebellious Kafir said...

LOL Pastorius, I will tell my 85y/o dad you said so ;) btw, he stops by here regularly, I got him hooked on my last visit and I think the IBA babe of the week helps too.

I know you meant no disrespect, I should have put a :) or something. I thought I was being wry for pointing out that at least he(as a male) will admit when he is wrong...rare indeed,alot like stopping to ask for directions.

Anonymous said...

The BNP and the Joooooooooooooooooooooooz