Monday, June 21, 2010

You Can't Make This Shit Up

I happily claim it as one of my all time favorite flicks. But have VATICAN officials ever actually WATCHED it?

MSN:

'Blues Brothers' praised by Catholic Church
June 21, 2010, 12:37 PM EST
WENN

Classic 1980s film "The Blues Brothers" has been given the official seal of approval by the Catholic Church -- the movie has been added to the Vatican's list of must-see pictures.

The music movie, starring John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, sees the onscreen siblings embark on an odd-ball road trip to raise money for the church-run orphanage where they grew up.

And the heads of the Catholic faith have now praised the movie's spiritual undertones and recommended it as a "Catholic classic," according to the Vatican's official newspaper L'Osservatore Romano.

"The Blues Brothers" joins films such as "The Passion Of The Christ" and "It's A Wonderful Life" on the Catholic Church's list of recommended movies.

-------------------------------------------------------------
of course you realize this just begs for a music post. My favorite Blues Brothers tune:

B Movie Boxcar Blues


(Delbert McClinton)

Caught a ride into South Dakota,
With two girls in a light blue Desoto,
You know one's name was Jane,
The other was plain,
But they both had racing motors.

Next I caught a ride with a gamblers wife,
She had a brand new laid down Rambler.
She stopped outside of town,
Laid the rambler down,
Said she sure could dig it if I rode her,
Said she sure could dig it if I rode her.

Doing my best to get back to you,
Ain't nothing' I'd rather do.
Look for me Sunday,
Gonna be there, honey,
With something special just for you.
Yeah a little something special just for you.

At a truck stop for toothpick and water,
Caught a ride with a fruit picker's daughter,
I drove her through the night,
Let the fruit just rot,
She gave me all I could eat for a quarter.

Next I hopped a train with a hobo woman,
Said she was from Texas too.
The way she did, what she did,
what she did, what she did to me,
made me think of you.
Yeah honey made me think of you.

Doing my best to get back to you,
Ain't nothing I'd rather do,
Look for me Sunday,
Hope I'll be there, honey
With something special just for you,
Yeah a little something special just for you

5 comments:

revereridesagain said...

The must have gotten a recommend from The Penguin.

If anybody finds a video of Aretha's "Think" number from BB please let me know. I couldn't find it on YouTube.

Epaminondas said...

Ahhh, Duck Dunn, and Booker T and that BEAUTIFUL ORANGE RECORD JACKET

Pastorius said...

My favorite tune from the Blues Brothers is Rubber Biscuit.

Bow bow bow ...

midnight rider said...

Just posted frnt side, Revere :)

midnight rider said...

And a Wish Sandwich, too, Pasto