Sunday, August 22, 2010

In Memory of King Richard III of England Who Wanted to Kick the Turks Out of Europe

August 22 is the 525th anniversary of the Battle of Bosworth Field in which the controversial English king Richard III died leading a calvary charge against the invading forces of Henry Tudor. Henry survived and became King Henry VII, father of Henry VIII and grandfather of Elizabeth I.

Richard is now acknowledged to have been libeled, slandered, and generally dragged through the muck for political purposes throughout the reigns of the Tudor monarchs. There is an ongoing debate over his actual character and actions that is a hell of a lot more fun than reading about Islam, though the questions raised are, admittedly, of much less timely and urgent concern.

Anyway, being a bit of an amateur "Ricardian" I discovered this tidbit in Bertram Fields 1998 history "Royal Blood". In May 1484 a visiting Silesian knight named Nicholar von Popplau had a meeting with Richard. In the course of their converstation Richard made the following comment: "I wish that my kingdom lay upon the confines of Turkey; with my own people alone and without the help of other princes I should like to drive away... the Turks."

The traditional memorial notice of the British and American Richard III societies goes as follows:

Remember Before God
Richard III
and those who fell at Bosworth Field,
having kept faith
August 22, 1485
Loyaulte Me Lie
[Loyalty Binds Me, which was Richard's motto. His symbol was the White Boar, which would have no doubt annoyed the Turks, as would have Richard had he ever got the chance.]

6 comments:

Damien said...

Revere Rides Again,

Well, that is intesting. I didn't know about him wanting to drive the Turks out of Europe.

Unknown said...

Hi Revere Rides Again.
Interesting posting i always love to read things like these.

Anonymous said...

:D

Always On Watch said...

RRA,
One of my class's readings this coming school term is Richard III. Maybe I can work in this little fact about the Turks.

revereridesagain said...

AOW
I assume you mean Shakespeare's tragedy which is about 99% libel, but being Shakespeare and such a great play it has formed the popular idea of what RIII was like. Great villain, but little resemblance to the original. There are a couple of Richard III Society sites on the internet. The book I quoted from, "Royal Blood", is quite good as is Paul Murray Kendall's biography.

By 1484 I think the guy was so sick of fighting the Tudors and his late brother's in-laws (sort of a Kennedy clan from hell) that the Turks would have felt like a vacation.

Epaminondas said...

AH but for Rauf..
"And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen out of holy writ,
And seem a saint when most I play the devil."