Friday, September 16, 2011

I Have a 98 Ford Ranger and You Can't Have it

I always was a pickup man

US News and World Report

Ford TV Ad Slams Obama Auto Bailouts

September 16, 2011

America is still fighting over President Obama's costly bailout of Chrysler and General Motors. Especially the owners of Ford, the only member of Detroit's "Big Three" who rejected the government dole and emerged perfectly healthy.

In its most political ad in the so-called "Drive One" ads where real drivers are thrust before cameras to explain why they picked Ford, a real Ford F-150 pick-up driver is featured.

His name is Chris. After he sits down the "reporters" bark "Chris, Chris." One asks him to explain why "was buying American important to you."



Sitting and looking sincere and serious, Chris says: "I wasn't going to buy another car that was bailed out by our government. I was going to buy from a manufacturer that's standing on their own: win, lose, or draw. That's what America is about is taking the chance to succeed and understanding when you fail that you gotta' pick yourself up and go back to work. Ford is that company for me."

A Ford spokeswoman confirmed that Chris is an actual Ford owner and that those are his real words (the ad series is all unscripted).

According to a government report, taxpayers will lose $14 billion in the bailout.

From a June 1 Associated Press story:

WASHINGTON — Taxpayers will lose about $14 billion in the government's $80 billion bailout of Chrysler and GM, the White House said Wednesday, portraying the outcome as good news since the losses are far lower than originally anticipated.

Seizing on the figures, the Obama administration took credit for the resurgence of the U.S. auto industry, assuring taxpayers that the government's bailout of Chrysler and GM was an investment worth making.

A report by the president's National Economic Council noted that as Detroit automakers rebound, the taxpayers' loss from the bailout will be about $14 billion, or less than 20 percent of the $80 billion that the Bush and Obama administration used to prop up the companies in 2008. The Treasury Department had expected losses closer to 60 percent."



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I own an ford F-150 pickup and when this one goes belly up I will only replace it with another ford

christian soldier said...

many in family worked for GM-
would never buy a Ford- until now---
also - would NEVER buy foreign--

love my 2003 Lexus ES--
Probably my last car-
do miss my 1976 International Scout II - so- would buy a Ford pick up -= to haul my sculptures : - )
For FREEDOM!!!!
Carol-CS

Epaminondas said...

"would NEVER buy foreign"....How many of the parts in a ford are produced OVERSEAS? How many subassemblies come from overseas?

I'm not arguing that Ford is not American, but if it is, then the Tundra, Titan, Hyundai's and certain Toyota'a and Honda's can be argued to be as well .. IF the criterion if american workers making them in america.

From ABC
1.Toyota - Camry

2. Honda - Accord

3. Ford - Escape

4. Ford - Focus

5. Chevrolet - Malibu

6. Honda - Odyssey

7. Dodge - Ram 1500 (Quad cab and crew cab only)

8. Toyota - Tundra

9. Jeep - Wrangler

10. Toyota - Sienna

Source: Cars.com *Cars.com does not take into consideration R&D and headquarter jobs created by the various cars

2011's Most American Cars Per Percentage of Parts:

1. Ford - Sport Trac: 90% Made in US

2. Mercury - Mountaineer: 85% Made in US

3. Ford - Explorer: 85% Made in US

4. Dodge - Dakota: 84% Made in US

5. Dodge - Avenger: 83% Made in US

6. Volkswagen - Routan: 82% Made in US

7. Dodge - Grand Caravan: 82% Made in US

8. Chrysler - 200 Sedan: 81% Made in US
9. Toyota - Tundra, Sequoia and Camry: 80% Made in US

10. GMC - Savana: 80% Made in US

11. Chevrolet - Express: 80% Made in US

12. Dodge - Nitro: 80% Made in US

13. Honda - Accord: 80% Made in US

14. Chrysler - Town & Country: 80% Made in US

15. Jeep - Wrangler 4 Door: 79% Made in US

2011's Least American Cars Per Percentage of Parts:

1. Honda - CR-Z, Fit and Insight: 0% Made in US

2. Suzuki - SX4 Sedan & Hatchback: 0% Made in US

3. Subaru - Forester & Impreza: 0% Made in US

4. Mazda - 2, 3-4D, CX-7, MX-5 Miata and RX-8: 0% Made in US

5. Mitsubishi - Lancer Evolution, Lancer/Sportback and Lancer Relliart/Sportback: 0% Made in US

6. Nissan - 370Z Coupe, Cube, GT-R, Leaf, Murano, Quest, Juke and Rogue: 0% Made in US

7. Infiniti - EX 35, FX 35/50, G37, M37/56 and QX56: 0% Made in US

8. Lexus - CT200h, ES350, GS350/460, GS450h, GX, HS250h, IS, ISC/ISF, LFA, LS460, LS600h, LX570 and RX HV: 0% Made in US

9. SCION - tC, xB and xD: 0% Made in US

10. Toyota - 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Highlander HV, Scion iQ, Land Cruiser, Prius, Yaris H/B, Yaris S/D: 0% Made in US

11. Volvo - C30, C70, S40, S60, V50 and V70: 1% Made in US

12. Hyundai - Tucson: 1% Made in US

13. Suzuki - Grand Vitara: 1% Made in US

14. Hyundai - Azera, Elantra "MD," Elantra Touring and Equus: 1% Made in US

15. Kia - Sportage: 1% Made in US

Source: US/Canadian parts content percent from NHTSA 2011 American Automobile Labeling Act Report

Pastorius said...

Check out the Infidel Quote of the Week in the sidebar.

Pastorius said...

Myself, I don't "buy American" on principle.

Why?

Because I don't think it's American to do so.

American is buying the product you think is best, the one you want the most.

Recently I did buy a car. I needed to buy a four-door sedan. My favorite car out on the market in my price range is the Chrysler 300.

But, I did NOT buy the Chrysler 300 because Chrysler did get bailed out by the government and frankly, at this point, I'd rather see them fail.

Instead, I bought a "foreign" car. The car I bought has high consumer satisfaction ratings for reliability. It has a great warranty, a great price, and great terms offered through the manufacturer. So, I bought it.

America is a set of ideas. It is not a buying group set up to purchase products from corporations who need the welfare of our purchases.

Where did we ever get that idea, for God's sake?

Epaminondas said...

My older son just bought an AWD Chrysler 300.


He likes his Fiat.

;)

midnight rider said...

I don't think the point this guy made was buy American or American made, just that he wouldn't buy from a bailout company. Daughter # 1 has a Toyota Scion & loves it. My wife has a 03 Dodge Caravan. Daughter # 2 a brand spanking new 2012 Ford Focus.

As for me I Have a 98 Ford Ranger and You Can't Have it.

This is my truck. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My truck is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.