Wednesday, May 23, 2012

5 Million Americans Lost

From the American Thinker:

Five million Americans have been thrown under the bus.  They are walking around dazed, outcast, and defeated.  Worst of all, they are not even counted in official tallies of the unemployed.  They are those whom the Obama administration simply wishes to ignore: working-age adults who have dropped out of the labor market completely.  They are those for whom the economic recovery underway should have created jobs but has not.
Despite Obama's latest assertion of having created 4 million jobs in the last 26 months, the reality is that in the past two years, 5.4 million workers have left the job market entirely.  These are the 5.4 million whom academics like to call "discouraged workers," and as far as the administration and its media cheerleaders are concerned, they do not exist.
The fact is that these millions of Americans are not so much discouraged as they are hopeless. 
OBAMA IS THE MIDDLE CLASS' 9/11.

4 comments:

RJIII said...

If they vote he's screwed.

midnight rider said...

After a year of making lunches I was still hopeful. It was taking longer than I thought to find work again but still I had no doubt I would.

After 2 years of making lunches I was still hopeful though I was having problems. Bills were not getting paid on time and I had to hit the 401K and savings to stay afloat. I began to accept that it would take years to undo and repiar the damage wrought by long term unemployment.

Now, after 3 years of making lunches, I have lost hope. I still keep looking but no longer believe I will find anything. Not in time, anyway.

I owe thousands of dollars in taxes because of penalties for using my own money (from the 401k) to save my house and keep the heat and lights on.

I owe many thousands more in credit card bills. I get a dozen or more calls a day from them. Most of the time when I answer they hang up. And no, not just the machine. I hear someone typing, sometimes I even hear them talking to each other and then they hang up. Which means they can call again later that day.

They tell me that if nothing happens on the accounts soon they will take me to court. And get what? The house and mortgage are upside down (and mine was a 30 yr fixed conventonal like you're supposed to do). I have no other big assets. A knife collection which is already up for sale piecemeal. Friends and family who have been a Godsend through this no longer have money to lend, to help. They are in not much better shape than I.

My mistake was in trying to kee those credit card bills paid. had I just let them default then when they offered me one of these settlements I could have used the 401k to pay them off and be done. But no, I was raised to pay your bills. And don't start me on HAMP.

I have come to believe I will NEVER dig myself out of this hole. That if I EVER manage to find work again will have to work until the day I die. And even then I wil still be leaving a mountain of debt to my kids.

I can't even say I am worth more dead than alive. No life insurance. No health insurance.

I tried dumbing down the resume but as soon as someone starts talking to me they see right through it. And a friend of mine actually lost an opportunity because he did so. He is a proceses engineer. Had a lock on a great job after 3 years out of work. But at the interview when something came up that wasn't on his resume they thought he was hiding something and lost the chance. When in fact he left it off because it was very old and not really relevent to what he was applying for.

Discouraged doesn't begin to describe. I'm not sure hopeless even does.

Pastorius said...

In Obama's new American, your old identity means nothing.

So, you're probably going to have to come up with a new identity.

You know, like a man on the run from the law.

midnight rider said...

;-)