Sunday, September 03, 2006

Why Abduct Us? We Cede Our Values For Free



Mark Steyn is on the money here:


Did you see that video of the two Fox journalists announcing they'd converted to Islam? The larger problem, it seems to me, is that much of the rest of the Western media have also converted to Islam, and there seems to be no way to get them to convert back to journalism.

Consider, for example, the bizarre behavior of Reuters, the once globally respected news agency now reduced to putting out laughably inept terrorist propaganda. A few days ago, it made a big hoo-ha about the Israelis intentionally firing a missile at its press vehicle and wounding its cameraman Fadel Shana. Shana was posed in an artful sprawl in a blood-spattered shirt. But it had ridden up and underneath his undershirt was spotlessly white, like a summer-stock Julius Caesar revealing the boxers under his toga.

What's stunning is not that almost all Western media organizations reporting from the Middle East are reliant on local staff overwhelmingly sympathetic to one side in the conflict -- that's been known for some time -- but the amateurish level of fakery that head office is willing to go along with.

Down at the other end of the news business, meanwhile, one finds items like this snippet from the Sydney Morning Herald:

"A 16-year-old girl was tailed by a car full of men before being dragged inside and assaulted in Sydney's west last night, police say . . .

"The three men involved in the attack were described to police as having dark 'mullet-style' haircuts."

Three men with "mullet-style" hair, huh? Not much to go on there. Bit of a head scratcher. But, as it turned out, the indefatigable Sydney Morning Herald typist had faithfully copied out every salient detail of the police report except one. Here's the statement the coppers themselves issued:

"Police are seeking three men described as being of Middle Eastern/Mediterranean appearance, with dark 'mullet-style' hair cuts."

That additional detail narrows it down a bit, wouldn't you say?


Steyn's column goes on, and you really ought to read the whole thing.

If the examples Steyn cites aren't disgusting enough, check this one out:


Palestinian Terrorists Fire on Children, AP Obfuscates

This is a great example of how appallingly corrupt the wire services have become in their reporting from Palestinian areas, relying on Palestinian journalists and editors who are doing the bidding of terrorist groups and covering up atrocities.

Associated Press writer Ali Daraghmeh’s story is about a gang of masked terrorists who fired on a crowd of schoolchildren to enforce a “teacher’s strike,” wounding a 12-year old boy.

Think about that. They used live fire against a crowd of children.

But the Associated Press headline for the story is deliberately worded to be as innocuous and misleading—in fact, downright confusing—as possible: Palestinian teachers’ strike hurts boy.


Steyn's point is that Western journalism have ceded the value of truth-telling; the logic and reason upon which a just society is built. He's absolutely correct. If the West can not figure out what it believes in and what is worth dying for, we will surely be destroyed.

Once upon a time, a Christian would srhink at the idea of denying his faith. Now, we see nothing wrong with the Fox Journalists casually converting to Islam to save their asses.

But, the problem is, it's not just about religion. Even if you don't believe in Christ, even if you think it is ok to deny your Judaism, Mormonism, Hinduism, Buddhism, or your subscription to Maxim Magazine, the fact remains that these creeds by which we live are more than a just ways to assimilate ourselves socially. They are the ideologies which provide the foundation of our lives.

All these ideologies were established because people were willing to die for them. Even Maxim Magazine. Patrick Henry said, "Give me liberty or give me death," and hard as it may be to believe it, 230-something years later we have such an attitude to thank for our right to gawk at scantily-clad babes.

I don't know about you, but I am a Christian, I am an American, and I like to look at scantily-clad babes, and I don't want these things to be taken away from me.

What do you say, my brothers?

Here's Robert Spencer's response to Al Qaeda's Adam Gadahn calling him to Islam:


Thank you for the invitation, Adam, and for your thoughtfulness in extending to me in particular a personal call. But I'm afraid I must decline. While I appreciate that I would be your "brother in Islam" if I became a Muslim and turned my "sword against the enemies" of Allah, I cannot and will not give in to violent intimidation, come what may, and I do not want to live in a society that bows to such intimidation.

I believe that societies that respect the equality of rights before the law of all people, including women and religious minorities, as well as the freedom of conscience, are superior to those that do not. I hope that such societies will be able to summon the will to resist you and your "invitation" in all its implications before it is too late.

Meanwhile, Adam, I have a preliminary invitation of my own for you: I invite you to accept the Bill of Rights, and enter into the brotherhood of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. My invitation does not focus on my religion, although I invite you to that also, but rather on a framework within which people of differing faiths can live in peace, harmony, and mutual respect -- provided that none of the groups involved cherishes supremacist ambitions to subjugate the others.


Those are the values for which we ought to be willing to die.

3 comments:

KG said...

I say "amen".
There are far, far worse things than war.

Pastorius said...

Yes. I just added Robert Spencer's response to Adam Gadahn's call for him to accept Islam. Spencer articulated that values for which we ought to be willing to die.

Wild Bill said...

I want it ALL !! Give me Liberty.. Give me my Bible.. Give me the babes in dukes, thongs, bikini's, leather and lace, or just plain nekkid !! The Mooselimbs can just take a long hike down a short rope, I mean road..