Saturday, March 14, 2009

Where Are Our Manners?

A couple years ago our company mandated everyone attend a “sensitivity” workshop they were giving. So that we all would know the “proper” way to treat and address each other, whether it is in the office or talking to customers in the field.

Turns out I’m a sensitivity class’s politically incorrect nightmare. Who knew?

Apparently I am not to address a woman as “my dear” or “lady”. I should Treat them as my equal, nevermind that they are better than us men in so many ways. Not refer to a man as “Friend” or “good sir”. No no, none of that. It’s demeaning. Patronizing.

Two years on and a lifetime habit hasn’t changed and I haven’t been bitten for it, either.

I freely admit I am a womanizer, a flirt, a schmoozer. And, if the lady is so inclined, not afraid of bawdy conversation. But not a philanderer. It ends before I leave the bar, so to speak.

And I treat men with equal regard. And will continue to do so until you cross me or otherwise give me reason to stop.

Leaving the politically correct argument aside, it seems to me that in America (can’t speak for other Western countries since I haven’t been there) we have abandoned a basic sense of decency, civility and courtesy toward each other in our everyday walkabout lives. Not everyone, of course, but many. There’s a sense of gallantry fading since the 60’s or so.

How many will stop and hold a door for someone, even if it means waiting 15 or 20 seconds, and stand aside to let the other go first?

How many will go out of their way to open a door for someone, whether they need the help or not?

How many men still remove their hats in a building?

How many will tip that hat to a lady?

How many will give a slight bow when opening that door, or when saying after you or when greeting somebody?

How about a firm handshake, automatically, when running into someone whether friend or acquaintance?

Allow someone with a bigger load and a crying kid to step in front of you in line, though it may delay you an extra 10 minutes?

How about a drive in window or with a waitress, May I have a Cheeseburger, fries and coffee? instead of Gimme a cheeseburger, fries and coffee. Who would you rather deal with?

Try Thank you and have a good afternoon once in awhile.

Personally I do all of the above, and more. Even in comments here or emails with many of you. And Christian Soldier or In Mary’s Image or AoW or Ro or anyone else have never blasted me for refering to them as Milady.

To me there is nothing wrong with addressing someone as Good Sir or Kind Sir or My Good or Dear Fellow. Or Friend. Mr. C. Or Mr. Smith. Emphasis on the Mr.

Nothing wrong with addressing a woman as Lady, My Dear, Milady ,Miss, Ma’am love of my life (got to be a little more careful with that one, use only in a casual situation). Offering to carry a bag or box. Offering a hand when they are stepping out of a car.

Nothing wrong with showing them deference, behaving as though that. at a certain level, you will be happy to be at their service. And I’ve gotten more hugs for it.

It’s a kindness, a gentility, a sense of respect and courtesy, we have abandoned to our great detriment.

It’s a way of conducting and carrying yourself.

And, you know, at least at my office I’ve noticed others starting to do the same although I don’t think they realize it.

You won’t see that kind of deference in the Islamic nations. A man bowing to a woman in Pakistan? Kissing her hand upon greeting her? Horrors!

(yes, I still do that, too)(it was the first thing I did when I first met the lady who would become my wife)

Make a flattering comment about someone’s new hairstyle or outfit? Telling someone they look nice? Sorry. I do it. So sue me. (In Iran: Hey babe, that’s a beautiful burqa you got there? This old thing? I’ve been wearing it everyday for years.)

It’s the kind of thing that leads to protocol gaffes like we’ve seen from Obama toward our allies. The man is slick and maybe smooth but has no real courtesy toward others. It’s why our politics have become such a circus, why we scream at each other instead of debating an issue, why we feel it’s okay to spit on a returning serviceman, protest at the funeral of a fallen hero, look for the worst in someone suddenly thrust into the spotlight (think Joe the Plumber) or trash a President for personal indiscretions.

My own flamboyant behavior is taken to extremes. It’s the show off in me. But why can't we return to a time where we treat each other a little better. Maybe then we could sit down across from each other and have a decent discussion instead of a shouting match where all that’s accomplished is epithets thrown back and forth and hard feelings that will already color the next discussion before it even begins.

I don't mind being called an Ugly American. Sorta proud of it. I do object to being a rude one.

If we’re to again come together as a society we need to start treating each other civilly.

OK. Rant over. Talk amongst yourselves. Nicely.

Maybe we should all learn to Tango. . .


We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here. --Ed Abbey

12 comments:

Pastorius said...

That tango scene is amazing. I've never seen the movie the whole way through, so I had never seen that scene.

midnight rider said...

Oh, my favorite scene.

I love the way Pacino shows deference to women in that movie. It's kinda the way I try to behave toward them.

Just Cause said...

Yep, it's definitely gone by the wayside although I take pride in my Gentlemanship (is that a word?) being English it's in my genes!

I always let old people and women on the bus/train before I get on knowing theres usually a shortage of seats much to the chagrin of other commuters but to the delight of the recipients. One old guy said to me recently theres not many of us left now, how true.

A young Muslim girl started to get the same bus as me to the city and on the first day I let her on first and she didn't even acknowledge me - now the bitch queues! Not acknowledging good manners is an insult in my book. I reached out to her and she stole the good will - you listening Obama?

I'll always use terms of endearment when speaking to girls because as MR said...they mostly like it. I've long believed that the reason leftists are so angry and full of hate is because they are socially inadequate. They have to control by force because they don't have the social skills to earn respect. They want everyone as equally as inadequate as them so their status allows them to compete. In a word, they're all Cads.

WC said...

Karl Marx would be proud. We now live in a classless society - it's just not what he imagined.

midnight rider said...

Just Cause -- my kind of person exactly. I've gotten the not many like that anymore compliment as well. And yes, not acknowledging good manners or kind gesture with a thank you is precisely what I mean when I say we've lost that basic decency. I've had people throw a door open then not hold it though they knew I was right behind them. Or walk right thru a door I held open, head down, talking on the cellphone without even a smile or wave.

Of course it leads to silly situations as well. Few weeks ago we ate a a local monster giant smorgasboard (Jewel would know which one). i started by holding the door for one elderly black woman and before it was done I was holding it for 2 full busloads from a church. But EVERY ONE of them smiled and said thank you.

In my experience it seems to be the elf absorbed late 20's early to mid-30's I get theleast response for. WWII or Korean War generation almost always respond in kind and still have that getility. Getting a Thank You sir from a WWII vet is always a kick. Why thank you young man from his wife. Go ahead and call an 18 or 21 or 23 year old miss or my dear or lady or love of my life and watch the shy giggle you'll get.

I don't know. I've been like this as long as I can remember and actually enjoy it and mean it when someone thanks me and I respond Honored or It's been a pleasure to be of service.

Terms of endearment, exactly the phrase I couldn't find, when refering to women and in a gentlemanly way, men as well.

midnight rider said...

WC -- right. No class all crass.

christian soldier said...

This post and the Tango Scene brought a big smile ...to my heart-
Thought all of you gentlemen would like to know that the young men that I am blessed to meet in the classes at the community college are kind and 'gentlemanly' too...
We have men of honor following you...
Blessings-to men of honor...
C-CS

midnight rider said...

CS -- I'm glad you liked it, Milady :)

Anonymous said...

Great Post :)

Anonymous said...

Gentlemen:

The door-holding and seat-offering are all very well and good. But do keep a few things in mind.

The man who did the worst damage ever to my life was a great believer in holding doors open for me. (He also taught me to pump gas so it wasn't a dead loss and yes, this was way back in the day.) He ran on a lot about how women need strong men to lean on. Not that he was wrong. It's just that he wasn't one, and all the gallantry in the world could not make up for that.

If I were a young woman again, I would say this: You want to impress me? Let me know that I can trust you absolutely -- your honesty, integrity, consistency. Make yourself someone I can enjoy looking up to. Understand that I can open my own damn car door but that I can trust you to drop the board meeting/big game/sales pitch and show up if you get a call that I'm unconscious in the ER. Recognize that my interests and ambitions are as important to me as yours are to you, and if you can't do that please go away and let me find someone who can. Convince me that I am beautiful to you and not just because you know you can't get the SI swimsuit issue cover model to come across. Hold doors for people as a courtesy and not because you think women are too fragile to do it ourselves. You are useless to me if you resent the strength I gain from having to stand up to the world on my own terms. Convince me that I am not on probation and you will not dump me the moment I become "inconvenient" for some reason. Don't tell me what I should or should not feel.

On the other hand, feel free to hold my doors, pump my gas, carry my bags, shovel out my car (that gets you 100 points), and call me darlin' all you want. There's no day so fine it can't stand a little more brightening up!

midnight rider said...

RRA I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Rebellious Kafir said...

As with everything in life, it is all about context. I do not mind a gentleman respectfully calling me Milady or some other term of endearment, but on the other hand I do not want some man calling me "honey" or "chic" in a creepy way that makes me feel as though I need a shower.

I enjoy living in a world in which my men--my husband and my sons--treat me with gentle deference. On more than one occassion I have been grateful for my husband's strong hand on the small of my back as we moved through a crowded street in the city. Not because he "owns" me but because he knows I am not a fan of crowds and is considerate enough to say with his touch--I am here, you are safe.

Through my husband's example my sons have learned to open doors, step aside for a lady, offer to help when needed, stand up when introduced to their elders, remove their hats when the come inside, say yes ma'am and no sir when appropriate and I am grateful to him for his example.

Those too are some of the things we have largely forgotten over the years, but in my opinion, they serve as the oil that keeps our society from experiencing too much friction.

So, Midnight Rider, this is my long winded way of saying, I do not mind that you refer to me as Milady, from you it is a high compliment, indeed.