Sunday, September 11, 2011

New York: Local Muslims and the 10th Anniversary of 9/11

As I was out assisting my son's move to his own new home
 today, I drove past a fire house which is putting the finishing
touches on a brand new 9/11 memorial using one of the I-Beams from
the Twin Towers.  
Paused at a traffic light, I took notice of the feverish efforts of
several locals raking the ground to a smooth finish in preparation
for tomorrow's dedication marking the tenth anniversary of 9/11.
Distracted by noise coming from my far left, I turned to witness the
utter gall of the local mosque's Eid carnival taking place
directly across from this memorial.   To the best of my knowledge,
this mosque has never used that parcel of land for amusements
in the past.   I have never seen anyone use that parcel of land at all.
Recently, I did take notice of  a WWII memorial statue depicting a soldier crouching to honor the war dead, and is located across the road from this mosque, appears to face this mosque.   I took satisfaction in that image, imagining our soldiers keeping
a watchful eye on it.
Many carnivals and family day events are held on the
property this WWII memorial graces as seen in the
photo below.  The WWII memorial would be to the
left of the individual on the left of this photo.
The mosque is visible in the distance of the
above photo as well.
However, unlike all previous summer fun
festivities, this Eid festival is timed to coincide
with 9/11 and at a location directly facing the
new 9/11 memorial.  I've not been aware of
any previous Eid festivals at this mosque or
near it.  If they held similar activities in the
past, it wasn't as visible or at this location.  
local eid

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NY . . .not NJ.

Always On Watch said...

unlike all previous summer fun
festivities, this Eid festival is timed to coincide
with 9/11 and at a location directly facing the
new 9/11 memorial


Of course.

It's all about Islamic supremacism.

Today, I hope to attend a small local commemorative service in one of our local cemeteries. I wonder how many people will be there.

Anonymous said...

Update . . .at the break of dawn this morning I drove past the site again and to my satisfaction noticed the entire lot across from the new 9/11 memorial is clear of any Eid festivities prior to the dedication ceremonies.

True to the mosque website's claim, the Eid carnival was only taking place yesterday.

Where a commercial sized, inflatable dual slide with walking balls existed yesterday, only a stubborn puddle from the deluge of rain earlier this week remained. A white tent remains up the hill, back on the mosque property, and does not impose upon the 9/11 memorial. Perhaps I'm over sensitive and over-reacted at yesterdays event. The timing and placement of this carnival could have been planned better to avoid the juxtaposition of such an inappropriate festival directly facing preparations for the ten year memorial for 9/11.

Pastorius said...

Ok, I corrected it.

I thought it was New Jersey, because the one image says, "Hackensack."