Monday, October 05, 2015

It's all in the book

This season of Homeland starts with some unexpected clarity on the Islamic threat. Agent Peter Quinn has just returned from Syria after being in the field for two years. The CIA heads want to know if he has had any success. Here's the dialog:
CIA: I'm asking, is our strategy working? 
Quinn: What strategy? Tell me what the strategy is. I'll tell you if it's working. See, that right there is the problem. Because they, they have a strategy. They're gathering right now in Raqqa by the tens of thousands. Hidden in the civilian population. Cleaning their weapons. 
And they know exactly why they're there. Why is that? They call it the end times. What do you think the beheadings are about? The crucifixions in Deir Hafer? The revival of slavery? You think they make this shit up? It's all in the book. Their fucking book. The only book they ever read. They read it all the time. They never stop. 
They're there for one reason and one reason only. To die for the caliphate and usher in a world without infidels. That's their strategy. And it's been that way since the seventh century.
Hmmm. Perhaps they've been reading our blog. At least we could have told them that ten years ago. Now let's brace ourselves for the usual outcries of Islamophobia.

3 comments:

Pastorius said...

Wow!

Thanks for posting this. I don't have a TV, so I miss all this stuff.

Always On Watch said...

Linked at my site.

Jason Pappas said...

I thought you all would enjoy it as I did.
Thanks for the linking it.