Why I have little hope for a republican convention….
‘Everything that’s wrong with that particular brand of rabid racist scumbag Trump supporters’
Then doesn’t THIS make the relentless unthinking inquisitors of Cruz supporters all antisemitic, and therefore racists as well?
Hillary and Bernie are out there waiting to see WHICH kind of racists succeed so they can ensure the American people understand they will either vote for NOT-RACISTS or RACISTS in place of ‘it’s the economy, stupid’. And that’s your election.
The issue has now gone far beyond the candidates. The issue is among those for whom this system does not function (calling all Bernie supporters) and will not go along AGAIN, vs those to whom their idea of ‘conservative’ is a purity which must be maintained.
It should be clear now that at the least a very large plurality will either stay home (and part vote for Bernie should he succeed), OR a large plurality will stay home after the ‘republican party’ elite decides they will allow Trump to carry the banner alone and face a polite shunning at best from his own party.
The only other alternative is a selection on some later ballot.
- Who is out there right now that could satisfy both wings of this party?
- Who is out there that could end the damages of free trade and not harm that ‘conservative principle’?
- Who is out there that could satisfy the corporate, hedge fund, big business ‘needs’ for legal and ILLEGAL immigration and be serious about a secure border?
- Who is out there that has the mind and nerve to kill ISIS, navigate among China and Russia, manage NATO, and uphold our values in the world while satisfying the wings of ‘America should stay home and mind it’s own business’ and ‘American leadership is a GOOD THING and without it the world has caught fire’
- Who is out there that recognizes the ravages the POLITICAL CLASS has now wrought on the people, intended or not, ignorant or not, inimical or not, and garner the support of an integral part of that same class?
Anyone out there fails one of the wings on issues of principle which are fundamental to that wing.
Especially on the last issue, it should be clear the Republican party is either finished, or a sullen population will conclude IT’S OVER OVER HERE. I choose the death of the Republican party.
And I’m not so sure the Democrats are not facing the same thing.