Sunday, May 07, 2006

Finally seeing "United 93"


I don't recall ever being so shaken up by a film, though even watching the History Channel's hour-long special about Flight 11 was a real shake-up when I saw it a week ago. I went to the movie alone, and many others in the audience were similarly alone. Seeing the WTC attacked again had the effect that it should have. I was shaken, but it was an image I wanted to see. I want EVERYONE to see it. And this, of course, was the first time that I've seen in on the big screen. It was even more jarring.

I'm not giving "spoilers", so don't worry, not that there can really be spoilers in a film about United 93, especially with those of us here who have the details forever etched into our memories. One thing that was so interesting to me was the fact that I was in a rather small late afternoon showing of the film, a smaller audience. All made up of the quiet, stoic well-to-do suburbanites whom no one ever expects of being capable of a rant. However, when the passengers realized what was going on, when ground control realized even before that people started crying. OK, that happens in movies. But when the passengers struck back, and when they attacked their first victim amongst the hijackers, audience members started CLAPPING and CHEERING! And in such a small audience! I was with them in this.

What really struck me though was the clapping as the film ended. Then the discussions that sprang up between perfect strangers in a theater! We looked odd, shaking with rage, some crying, all ranting about 9/11 next to the larger audience of Mission Impossible III letting out, but honestly, I was watching the most respectable of citizens saying things like, "They should all be killed" and "We should just bomb them all". This is the 'silent majority' that caused me to start my blog, people! People are suffering their anger in silent indignation, those of us who don't write online or call talk shows or the like. There is an ARMY of Americans who are angered to the point of uncharacteristic violence by the 9/11 attacks STILL. And they SHOULD be.

I'm so thrilled that this film is out and that people are out seeing it and reliving that day. We NEED to see this. We all need to be reminded and not let those who seek to bury 9/11 under heaps of absurd stories like Abu Ghraib and Gitmo Toilet Korans. America needs to wake back up, and this movie is one thing that will help them. They will look online, they will find writers like us. The troops will be mobilized, and we do have elections coming up. My mission has been to mobilize the troops, the civilian troops that is, because I KNOW that they're out there. The calendar is SKEWED, people. Time passed after that horrid day, but it in many ways has remained frozen. Completely. We were thrust into a new mindset, we are at war now, and the calendar had been skewed since 9/11/01. Time has not passed as it normally does.

One last note on the film: all of the Arabic is subtitled except for the prayers. This is my one complaint about the film. Especially towards the end. OK, we all know that I'm a little obsessed with the shahada, and the first part of this is what the hijackers repeat toward the end. They are saying, "There is no god but allah" over and over, and it is not subtitled. So there is my work of subtitling the film. I cannot imagine why this was not done. I don't think that this was the effect, but as a commentator and film critic on NPR stated, the film is "fair to both sides" and doesn't bash the Muslims. HUH? Why are my tax dollars supporting idiots? The film is about four Muslims (not including the other hijackers on the other planes who are not shown) who murder pilots an a stewardess, plan to hit the US Capitol, take out some passengers, all before attempting to kill them all along with themselves and civilians on the ground. "Fair to both sides"?? Nazi Propaganda Radio, sorry, but I really don't think that's how the people exiting the film across America are feeling. They're mad as hell, and with any luck, they'll decide not to take it anymore.

12 comments:

Always On Watch said...

I left you a comment about this film at my site. I hope that you'll stop by to read my comment.

I've been to Shanksville. All the visitors found themselves speaking in whispers. My husband and I spent two hours at that site and could hardly tear ourselves away.

The site is both sacred and patriotic. While I mourn the lives of patriot lives lost aboard that flight, what those passengers did was a victory for America and for Western ideals.

when the passengers struck back, and when they attacked their first victim amongst the hijackers, audience members started CLAPPING and CHEERING! And in such a small audience! I was with them in this.

That didn't happen in the audience of which I was a part--a very small group which attended the first matinee on the first day of the movie's release. But I wanted to. I also wanted to stand up and cheer. In the audience on the day I attended, we all moved to the edges of our seats as the passengers rushed the cockpit, and I heard members of the audience whispering, "Yes. Yes." All but one member of the audience, that is. I told that story in my comment to you at my site, at the article about Brigitte Gabriel.

When the movie ended, I had tears streaming down my face--tears of both sadness and of joy. And, yes, of pride in my country.

Always On Watch said...

Pim's Ghost,
This is such an excellent review that I'm going to announce your review at my site. Off to do that right now.

NYC TAXI SHOTS said...

the movie sucked should never had been made he came right out and said it was all speculation hey but he made a lot of money i guess thats all that matters right

Cubed © said...

Pim's Ghost,

Thank you for your excellent review.

The movie illustrates so well the incredible importance of art as a means of communicating values - AOW, you said it when you said "...what those passengers did was a victory for America and for Western ideals.

The importance of art as a means of values communication is equally demonstrated by the strength of the hostile responses of those who do not share these values - I present "nyc taxi shots" as a case in point.

This is why totalitarian governments keep such a tight hold on art, or even, like Islam in its purist form, forbid the use of any conscious life-form at all, even of animals.

Have you all noticed that little by little, some TV shows are actually beginning to portray Islam as the bad guy, and that the level of PC has eroded a bit?

Maybe we're making some progress, eh?

Now, for more movies! Maybe this one has broken the PC ice! Who knows, maybe an accurate movie about the life and times of Mohammed, etc. will eventually be on the Big Screen - we'll probably have to await the aftermath of the next attack, though.

BTW, the last I heard, and it was only a couple of weeks ago, the monument at the site of the crash is virtually identical to the original one - a crescent with the open part facing Mecca, planted with red maples. They have the gall to call it "The Embrace of the Crescent."

The guy who designed it denies that there was any political influence on the design, that it was just coincidental that it looks like a Muslim symbol.

As a landscape architect who criticized it pointed out, the JOB of the landscape architect and architect is to suffuse the design with meaning, to interpret the concept in concrete, stone, and plants. He could not possibly have just "coincidentally" designed a red crescent facing Mecca and called "The Embrace of the Crescent" by accident.

Cubed © said...

Hey - anyone for chain saws and jack hammers?

Stogie said...

Great review. I must see this film though I fear I may cry like a baby and spoil my macho act.

As dipshit NY Taxi points out, the film involves speculation, but not all that much. The cockpit tape recorder and the telephone calls passengers were making to their relatives confirm important facts. The passengers did rush the cockpit and attempt to take control of the plane. They were banging on the cockpit door when the plane went into its death dive.

We all die, but at least these folks died as heroes who will be remembered. God bless them.

See my blog for a link to the obituaries and pictures of 38 of the 40 passengers. Look into their faces, see who they were. Pay your respects.

David Schantz said...

I haven't seen the movie and don't know when I'll get a chance to see it. I would like to. My wife has said she doesn't think she could set through it.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Kiddo said...

NYC--there should be a movie about every plane, both towers (seperately) and the Pentagon. All seperate movies IMO. Obviously there was speculation. No one survived. I'll file that comment under "Too stupid to consider" if you guys don't mind.

And the images of 9/11? There should be a whole new CABLE CHANNEL, 24/7. This is WAR.

Mike's America said...

PG:

You ask "Why are my tax dollars supporting idiots" at NPR?

The answer is for the exact same reason we are not more fully responding to the state of war declared on us by these Muslim fanatics.

As you point out, there is that multicultural induced guilt to be "fair to both sides."

Has there ever been any effort expended by the "other side" to be fair before they behead another victim?

The rightous anger that you and others felt in this theater should be channeled towards making sure that we do not endure worse atrocities in the future.

Another milestone on that path comes with the congressional elections this November and the sowers of doubt and confusion have been working overtime to stymie the directness of purpose that is so essential if we are to be effective in eliminating the threat we face.

I'll keep beating this drum for the next six months and my apologies in advance to any who get tired of hearing it.

But VICTORY in this war requires VICTORY in unity of purpose here at home. Without that VICTORY, no other win is possible.

Gayle said...

I will watch the movie, although it will be very hard as I couldn't sit through your review without crying!

God bless those people. I have always been proud of them and their sacrifice. I'm very glad this movie was made. Many people need reminding!

Jason Pappas said...

Great review. My wife have been eager to see this movie but we've been busy. We must make time ... it is still playing in our area and I'd like to report on the response of the New York audience.

Freedomnow said...

To be fair to the NPR critic the media should take an unbiased stance on any issue.

Maybe there is hope. Now that NPR is fair to mass murdering terrorists maybe they can be fair to the President of the United States and US troops out in the field.

We can only hope...