Friday, February 09, 2007

Islam is a liberator of women

I identify as both a Muslim and a feminist and I don’t see this as in any way contradictory.

As a Muslim, I have very little criticism to make of the Qu’ran in terms of its treatment of women. As a doctrinal text, it did indeed widen women’s options, and enshrined rights that women did not previously have. It is, I think, entirely accurate to say that the Qu’ran was an advocate for women’s liberation.

Both feminism and Islam have a healthy preoccupation with women’s rights.


That's right folks. You've got it all wrong. Read the rest here

8 comments:

John Sobieski said...

Another insipid conclusion about the Koran. It is no different than someone reading Mein Kamphf and concluding it's a love story. Not worthy of the time of day.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say Pickled Politics are open-minded. I would say delusional.

Well of course I guess you could say she's a moderate. But she's also living in a fanatasy world if the thinks Islam is a liberator for women...

Watcher said...

As a doctrinal text, it [Koran] did indeed widen women’s options, and enshrined rights that women did not previously have.

Like, for instance, in the dreaded Western culture, a woman doesn't have a right to be stoned to death. In Islam - she does.

Pastorius said...

Jonz,
I thought you were an admirer of that site.

Anonymous said...

Not anymore. A while ago some of them (commentors) said I should have been "blown sky high" on 7th July- along with one of my colleagues who was.

Pastorius said...

Wow, that is harsh.

I didn't know you lost a colleague on 7/7. Did you write about that?

Anonymous said...

Well I didn't really *know* her very well at all, she just worked at the same place where I worked... There's some people who miss her very much so I wouldnt want to make a self-indulgent post on her when I hardly even knew her....

Pastorius said...

You're a good man, Jonz. Some would use proximity and aquaintance to promtoe themselves. You chose not to. I admire you for that.