Monday, March 23, 2009

Common Sense

2 great videos. The first h/t to Her Royal Whyness from comments at Epa's Post:

We The People Stimulus Package

This one found while embedding the other

The Second American Revolution:

Was Thomas Paine the man or what ?

update: as Pastorius points out in comments in the second vid Paine advocates a draft, civilian or military. What ho! say you, I thought we were opposed to civilian national service.

We are. Me that is. And Pastorius, too. As for military conscription I am opposed also except maybe MAYBE in time of war. And even then our all volunteer force kicks ass when allowed. To me a volunteer will almost always fight better than a conscript.

But the rest of the videos I mostly agree with so posted them anyway.

5 comments:

Pastorius said...

I put the first of these videos up yesterday, but then quickly took it down, after realizing that I disagree rather strongly with some of this man's propositions. For instance, this man wants to instill National Service. Now, it is true that this man wants the National Service to be in the military, while Obama wants there to be an extra-military National Service requirement. And, I am more suspicious of Obama's plan, than this man's plan. But, the two amount to the same thing. A mandatory draft of all citizens when we are not at war is a form of slavery.

In my book.

Pastorius said...

By the way, let me be clear, I think the videos are worthwhile. I'm glad you posted them, but they certainly did not fit in the context of what I was discussing in my posts of yesterday.

Anonymous said...

The mandatory draft is a deal-breaker, though much of the rest of the videos are "common sense". But common sense is not a consistent set of political principles. As is the case with most "grass roots" organization, this one is speaking to a mixed bag of concerns though doing a bettr job of it than most.

(Plus they have got to get a different water pitcher next time they make one of these, some nice ironstone, maybe a Liverpool jug, but that thing looks like it came out of WalMart, yii...)

midnight rider said...

Pasto -- I caught the part about National Service, too, either military or Civilian. I don't agree with it, either, except maybe MAYBE in time of war. And even then our all volunteer force kicks ass when allowed. To me a volunteer will almost always fight better than a conscript.

But much of the rest of the vid I agreed with so I put it up.

Pastorius said...

Yeah, I agree with both you and RRA. These guys are doing a good job in general.