Friday, July 24, 2009

Crowley: The Apology Won't Come From Me

Newsmax:

Cop Tells Obama: I Didn't Vote for You and Won't Apologize
Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:44 PM
By: Newsmax Staff

The police officer at the center of a national racial firestorm triggered by President Barack Obama told an interviewer Thursday that he had nothing to apologize for in the arrest of a black Harvard scholar, and that the president he didn’t vote for should have more carefully considered his words.

“The apology won’t come from me, I’ve done nothing wrong,” Sgt. James Crowley told Carl Stevens of WBZ News Radio in Boston.

A well-regarded officer who is himself an expert on racial profiling, Crowley responded to a call at the Cambridge home of Henry Louis Gates Jr. last week to investigate a report of a burglary. Confronting Gates and another man who appeared to have forced open the door of the homne, Crowley asked Gates to show him identification.

Gates at first refused and accused Crowley of racism. The professor, a close friend of Harvard alumnus Barack Obama, was charged with disorderly conduct. The charge was dropped Tuesday, and Gates has since demanded an apology from Crowley.

In a four-minute interview outside his home, Crowley revealed that:

Gates escalated the situation by yelling and refusing to calm down, calling Crowley a racist, and referring to his mother.

He was the police officer who tried to save the life of former Boston Celtics player Reggie Lewis, a black man, who collapsed and died during an off-season workout at Brandeis University. Crowley said he was still very shaken by that event.

Crowley said he didn’t vote for Obama, but supports the president 110 percent. He also suggested that the president was siding with his friend Gates, and he probably would have done the same in a similar situation.

Though he said he would do everything exactly the same way again, Crowley did express regret at the media attention and pressure the event has brought on his friends and family.

“I acted appropriately. Mr. Gates was given plenty of opportunity to stop what he was doing,” Crowley said in the interview. “He didn’t. He acted very irrational, and he controlled the outcome of that event.”

“There was a lot of yelling. There was references to my mother,” Crowley said. “Something you wouldn’t expect from anybody who should be grateful you’re there investigating the report of a crime in progress, let alone a Harvard University professor.”

The reporter then referred to the death of Lewis, explaining he worked the scene that night when Crowley tried to save the player’s life.

“I was a police officer at Brandeis University at the time and I was responding to a medical call and had the unfortunate experience of trying to revive somebody who was probably already gone,” Crowley said. “It was very tough emotionally dealing with that as well.”

The reporter than asked him to respond to the charges that he is a racist.

“It almost doesn’t warrant a comment. My friends, my family my colleagues – those people whose opinions mean the most to me – they know who I am, they know what I am and what I am not. It’s an unfortunate thing that the professor and other people even mentioned that.”

Asked what he thought of the president’s comments, Crowley immediately replied, “I didn’t vote for him,” and then smiled.

“When he said the Cambridge police acted stupidly, he was talking about you,” the interviewer asked. “What was your reaction to that?

“My only reaction, somebody had told me what he said. I didn’t hear the press conference but I did listen afterwards and I support the president of the United States 110 percent. I think he’s way off base wading into a local issue without knowing all the facts as himself stated before making that comment so again, I don’t know what to say about that. I guess a friend of mine would support my position too.”

Are you able to do your job, Crowley was finally asked.

“Sure. I absolutely will. This will not distract me from doing what it is I do. And if a similar call came in tomorrow, I wouldn’t shy away from responding and I’d do what I have to do.”

Asked if should have done anything different, Crowley responded bluntly: “No.”


10 comments:

Always On Watch said...

In my view, Crowley has nothing to apologize for.

BHO, on the other hand, does.

Rebellious Kafir said...

Mmmm..what a man. This is the sort of man that liberal women wish they had the courage to love. I bet Sgt. Crowley doesn't wear mom jeans.

Obama is a skinny, metrosexual moonbat who would run crying to Michelle if he had to deal with the things Sgt. Crowley faces every day.

God bless and keep you Sgt. Crowley.

I nominate Sgt. Crowley for Infidel Hunk of the Week. :)

Pastorius said...

The man clearly has strength of mind, grace, and dignity.

Those are characteristics sorely lacking in our President.

The contrast between the two men is stark and revealing.

Reaganite Republican said...

Nice work Barack… with one comment you managed to alienate 75% of America.

And anyone who has spent any amount of time in the “higher” education system knows the Professor Gates type: bitter, spiteful, bigoted racist with a position of power who felt emboldened to make a political statement.

This is the type of Professor who would change the subject on you when you attempt to engage in a debate- or would give you a poor grade because you actually have an opinion, and done research outside of marxist texts and such. You are fooling no one, Mr Gates.

And Mr President, is this “nuance” you’ve spoke of? “the police acted stupidly”? -please

Obama is out to rip this country to shreds in EVERY way- who can question that such ill-advised statements are divisive… and NOT helpful? He has no idea what happened, he admitted it- and apparently doesn’t care, either… he’s picked his side.

But back in reality, the childish and paranoid Gates completely baited the cop, who acted with admirable restraint, IMO… all he had to do is show his ID and shut up, he was treated with respect. This guy was clearly looking for a fight… and he ought to thank God he didn’t find one.

Obama is going to destroy race relations in this country with his vengeful “get even” mentality… some messiah- Americans should have chosen a fair and sensible human being instead of this embittered nut.

http://reaganiterepublicanresistance.blogspot.com

Total said...

Shame on Barack Obama for not retracting his pathetic comments and failing to apologize to this model police officer. Sgt. Crowley, you're not alone.

e of usa said...

Sgt. Crowley in 2012.

Anonymous said...

barack is less than presidential.

and he is oblivious to how every divisive thing he says, where the mask he wares over his "I hate america, america is the real bad actor, keeping us down" face slips reasonable people start waking up.

Pastorius said...

Now Barack says he's surprised that his comment caused controversy, which shows you're right, Rumcrook. He is oblivious.

midnight rider said...

I saw that, Pasto. I don't think he's surprised. There was calculation in this.

Pastorius said...

You know, I think Gates is of a generation which had serious problems with racism, even though he is of the generation which fought to end racism with the Civil Rights movement. That generation, both black and white, is filled with racists who don't know they're racists, because damn it, they fought in the Civil Rights movement.

Henry Louis Gates is a god damned racist, in my opinion.

We who are younger saw Obama (not speaking for myself personally here, but for my generation) as being someone who was like us, POST-RACIAL.

I am married outside my race, and as I have noted before, at Holiday dinners, there are only three white people in a room full of 30-50 brown and black people.

This is my experience in life. And, it is the experience of many of my friends.

We look at someone like Henry Louis Gates and it's as if someone harvested DNA trapped in amber from another era, and they recreated something, and look what it was, it was a racist motherfucker from the 1960's still spouting the same old shit.

The thing is, we (my generation) believed Obama was post-racial, but he is not. He was mentored by people like Gates, Wright, Farrakhan, and Jesse Jackson.

Sadly, most every acknowledged "leader of the black community" is a racist idiot.

People like Michael Steele, Bill Cosby, Thomas Sowell, and the various black CEO's (whom the black community pathetically never seem to hold up for celebration) are marginalized, and often called Uncle Toms.

You know, look, America has proven we will have a black man as a leader. It's time the black community shut the fuck up and got serious about life. Enough of these racist demigods being extolled as leaders.

That's a pathetic commentary on "the black community".