Friday, February 05, 2010

In which I attend a J Street kick off celebration as an 'official' observer

J Street Logo
Nice people. The nicest.

I remember most of them being around me when Hendrix dumped lighter fluid on his guitar, and we had a great time when Country Joe and the FISH spelled out F-U-C-K. Iconically speaking, of course.

Now it was bald heads, gray hair, some younger people. They were 4 college age people in a group of 40 at this kick off night for new J Street branches around the country.


The phrase "Pro-Israel Pro-Peace" (emphasis theirs) was brandished before the speakers like a crucifix in a nest of vampires. They handed out bumper stickers. I wondered how they would react to the fact that J Street U had dropped "Pro-Israel". In my role there as observer however, I felt throwing that bucket of cold water should wait. Mrs. Epa feels they would simply say, 'we don't believe that'.


Listening to a discussion between two climate scientists, one of whose names would be RECOGNIZABLE (more on that in another post) I suddenly realized something standing amid the directors of non profits, teachers, professors, state employees and social service providers (yes, after this epiphany, I asked) ... I was the ONLY person in the room responsible for generating a profit. I was the ONLY businessman there (I could find). I'm sure they would feel 'what difference does that make?'


The leader stated that J Street national wanted a HARD SELL for activist commitment to action in break out groups, but she felt that wouldn't work in Maine. So right. She and the other leader this celebratory night, lured in with music, dancing and food, told us that the peace group Brit Tzedek Vsholom, was now subsumed into J Street, which was lead essentially by MoveOn.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Gabriella said...

Great Great Great Blog

Your blog is so excellent. I am your regular reader of your blog.

I follow your blog. I like your way of posting.

Hey i am interesting in adding your http://ibloga.blogspot.com/
in my blog
http://spacestation-shuttle.blogspot.com/


I am honored to add it to my friend's blog list.

Will you add my blog in your blog list.

Thanks for visiting my blog as well!

Please reply dear.