Thursday, May 18, 2017

George Carlin On Globalism



Interviewer: "My last question, George, is that; It seems to me you're kind of an icon for someone who can see the bad things going on but not let it... harden your heart, not let it get into you and screw up your mental state or emotional state. Do you have any advice for people on how you can still stay engaged in the world and not go insane with anger and resentment?"

George Carlin: "Become a spectator. That’s what I am.  I have found that over the last 20 to 30 years, somewhere in that span, between 20 and 30 years ago, I began to pull away from having a stake in any of this. I don’t really have an emotional stake in the outcome anymore, in terms of my caring. I don’t really give a fuck, when you get right down to it. I don’t care what happens to my species because I think this species has squandered great gifts, namely and especially, the gift of this mind we have, the brain/mind which is able to distinguish between subject and object as a starter and is able to do a lot of abstract things that should have led us better places. And the opposable thumb and walking erect and that whole package. We should certainly have done better than to embrace superstitious, religious belief that rules us and leads us. And the pursuit of goods and profit and territory and power. That’s what we turned into and I think the same is true of this culture. I have also found myself pulling away from this culture and not caring about the outcome because I think the same thing is true. This culture, the country,  the American country was given great gifts.  It developed great gifts on its own at the beginning and I think we squandered these ideals, these noble purposes and ideals that we began with. And we went off the track because of the prosperity, primarily.  We were always infected with the religious thing. That was always there underneath everything. But the prosperity lead to greed and possessiveness and wanting to own things and have them for their own sake. And now the American people, politically, have been bought off ...completely silenced and bought off by gizmos and toys and that’s a line from the con show. And it’s just a shame. So I pulled away emotionally and I said, "You know what, fuck ‘em. Let ‘em do what they wanna do and I’m gonna enjoy this shit as a spectator." And I look at it as a show. It’s a big circus. It’s a big parade or whatever metaphor you want to use. I think of it as a freak show. I like to say this. "When you’re born into this world you’re given a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you’re given a front row seat." And man, I’m sitting there and I have my notebook out and I’m enjoying the show and I wish I could live a thousand years to watch this all develop. The rise of Russia, the rise of China, the Islamization of Europe, the decline of the white race. It’s going to be an amazing story as it develops and I just wish I could see it all. I’m 70 now. I’ll probably live to between 90 and 100 I think and I’ll get to see some of it but it is an interesting, exciting thing to watch if you can detach yourself emotionally. And that’s the end of that. 

5 comments:

Redneck Texan said...

I can certainly relate to this.

I feel like I'm a passenger on the train to destiny.

I feel bad about leaving this shit for my kids to deal with. But the so called greatest generation left us a big pile of shit to deal with as well.

In the long game Civilizations, Cultures, and Empires rise and fall.

Every culture gets displaced. Put your finger anywhere on the globe and the dominant group there today displaced or absorbed the previous ones.

Trick is, I'd say, to enjoy your point in the space / time continuum as much as possible. We might be living in peak humanity.

Redneck Texan said...

You know we're pretty much all new junkies here.

Thats not necessarily the human norm. Especially not historically.

Perhaps we're too aware of the problems we face.

The media we get our fix from exaggerates some problems and attempts to blind us from others. They shape our daily thoughts, whether we see through their biases or not.

I just think it would be so relaxing to withdraw from their freak show ..... if only I could.


Pastorius said...

Before April 2002, I did not care much about the news or politics.

I don't have to care. I have chosen to throw my hat in the ring.

What does it matter, though?

Not much.

Anonymous said...

Oh, but Pasto, it does matter. IBA provides us an island of sanity...for which we heartily thank you all.

Pastorius said...

Well, thanks for letting me know.

Very kind of you.