Monday, June 26, 2006

Not your father's heart attack

Some of you may have noticed I have not posted here since friday.

Friday night I and my famly answered the question of whether or not genetics plays the strongest factor in predicting heart attacks.

It does.

Growing up in the 50's in NYC, we ate meat 7 days a week, and had chicken once (friday nights, and the skin was the best part, this course was alwas preceeded by chopped chicken livers with onions cooked in chicken fat), and once a week my mother tried to force us to eat calf's liver since the thinking at the time was that this had all the 'good stuff'. My father, grandfather, and uncle all grew up eating this way. They all smoked 2+ packs of ciagrettes a day.

They all died of heart attacks...my father at 48.

Continue reading "Not your father's heart attack" at Villager's with Torches»

9 comments:

Pastorius said...

Sorry to hear that, Epa. Hope it wasn't IBA that started the attack.

So, what happens from here? Are you going to have a bypass, or what?

AtlasShrugs.com said...

Epa, I missed you. Had no clue. Your wit and intellect is keenly sought on my site.

No more chicken livers! and Schmaltz! and Unborn eggs! And Kolachul! And Chopped liver! And Latkes! And Flanken!

and no pork either.......;-D

Get well, and come on back now ya here
xoxoxox, Pamela

AtlasShrugs.com said...

oy
PIMF hear!

Epaminondas said...

no bypass, it was over in 2 hours.
3 stents. From the time they put an ECG on my chest until I was in the cath lab was less than 30 minutes. I hit the E-room at 10, and by 12:30 thy were done. You know the amazing thing, I wasn't scared in the least. Very weird. The pain crowded out all other considerations I guess.

So I am on dial up in the hospital, trying to alert those who must know business wise, and posting just a bit.

I guess I'll be home in a few days, then cardiac rehab.

No atlas...no flanken, no brisket, no schmaltz, no blintzes...but there's no way I am surrendering to to veggie cheese either

We live on a lake..no swimming

Always On Watch said...

Epa,
I left a long comment at your site.

The fact that you weren't scared probably saved your life.

Kiddo said...

Epa--heavens! Best wishes for a strong recovery! I'm just stunned, and I hope you are feeling alright now, or at least a bit better. We'll miss you until you are back on your feet! XOXOXOXOXO!!

Elder of Ziyon said...

I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

von Schlichtningen said...

Best wishes here from Portugal as well. May your recovery be rapid.

Hodja said...

Best wishes from Denmark too. Think your case was very professionally handled - 2 hours from start to defintively treated. And impressing youre on again :-)